FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode retention with 5D synched footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aryn Leigh
Timecode retention with 5D synched footage
on Nov 24, 2014 at 7:59:08 pm

Hi there,

I'm categorizing a ton of synched 5D (converted to ProRes 422) footage in FCP7.

There are a number of video clips and maybe only one or two audio clips. So I link them in the timeline, then drag to a bin. From there, I subclip.

Of course, all is well till I realized that the TC is resetting to 00:00:00 for every new subclip. Bad for transcription. I know that people often keep their clips in the synched timeline, but the producer on this project has requested that I log everything back in bins.

So my questions:

Can I export the timelines as a self-contained file and bring back into FCP? Will there be a generation loss? There will be no up-rezing as ProRes 422 will be the online resolution.
Is there a better workflow that anyone can think of here? I am paranoid about losing TC for transcription purposes, but don't want to slow down the logging process if there is a faster option.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Timecode retention with 5D synched footage
on Nov 24, 2014 at 9:44:36 pm

[Aryn Leigh] "Of course, all is well till I realized that the TC is resetting to 00:00:00 for every new subclip. Bad for transcription."

If you need the original TC, then you need to change sequence to match the clip TC. And then make sure to place the footage on the timeline exacty where the clip timecode exists. Yes, this can mean long ass timelines. But if you want the subclip of a sequence to match the clip timecode, this is what you need to do.

[Aryn Leigh] "Can I export the timelines as a self-contained file and bring back into FCP?"

yes...FILE>EXPORT>QUICKTIME. Choose SELF CONTAINED, and USE SEQUENCE SETTINGS. As long as the sequence matches your clip settings.

[Aryn Leigh] " Will there be a generation loss? "

Nope...just copying the 1's and 0's...no loss. Unless you click RECOMPRESS in that export.

[Aryn Leigh] "Is there a better workflow that anyone can think of here?"

Yes...GROUP the clips...make GROUP clips. Don't do sequences. Find the matching start points for audio and video...mark IN points, GROUP the clips. Then the clip timecode stays the same.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aryn Leigh
on Nov 24, 2014 at 9:56:55 pm

Ah, yes. This is very helpful.

Exactly how do I group the clips, when there are several video clips that are synched to one long audio clip?

Thanks Shane!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 24, 2014 at 10:40:01 pm

Oh, well then the sequence export is the way to go. And you can modify the Timecode after if you want, with an app called QT CHANGE. Or change the Sequence TC to match the clip. But then will it match later QT files, as you say they are staggered.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Aryn Leigh
on Nov 25, 2014 at 8:33:38 pm

Here's another question in regards to exporting a full sequence:

Often, I have multiple audio tracks, but they are not uniform across the sequence. So for the first 5 minutes, there are 3 zoom tracks, then four... some are stereo... etc. etc. I am finding that exporting as one long clip (even when I change the audio outputs to 4 in the sequence settings window) comes back through as one long 4-track clip- so I lose information with what segments have only 1,2, or 3 channels of audio.

So I am exporting the video only and placing back over the zoom clips. But because of the multiple audio takes, I can't merge the entire clip as one to review in a bin.

Any workaround for this? Basically, all I am trying to do is log a clip in a bin with reliable timecode so that the editor can easily read through a list of markers and make their decision in the bin, not in a timeline. It's not looking possible at this point.

Thanks again, in advance for any additional advice!

-AL

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 26, 2014 at 6:43:12 pm

To export all tracks separately, you need to map them in the timeline as well. I have a full workflow for that here:

Export Multiple Channels of Audio in FCP
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/multi-audio/1

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Aryn Leigh
on Nov 26, 2014 at 8:26:22 pm

Thanks for this, Shane!

It does not seem possible though to retain information for a timeline that has all sorts of checker-boarded audio tracks... (Example: beginning of edit has 1 mono channel, 2 minutes in there are another two tracks put in as stereo...)

The quicktime that will be exported will still come back in as one long group of tracks, not indicating (visually) where the additional zoom audio tracks come in... correct?

-AL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]