FORUMS: list search recent posts

nested sequence names not changing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bleakley McDowell
nested sequence names not changing
on Nov 20, 2014 at 4:37:46 am

Hi,

I'm working on a timeline with lots of nested sequences. If I change the name of a nested sequence in the browser, it isn't reflected in my timeline - the nested sequence seems to have lost its connection to the browser. For some nested sequences, if I choose "reveal master clip" FCP tells me nothing is found. But, I can see the sequence right there in front of me and can edit just like any other sequence, it just isn't in the browser.... The only place it seems to live is within the timeline it is nested in.

This doesn't make any sense to me. I want to be able to nest sequences and still have them be referenced in the browser.

Anyone have this problem before?

B

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: nested sequence names not changing
on Nov 20, 2014 at 4:27:39 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 20, 2014 at 4:31:41 pm

Well, that's because a name change in the Browser won't automatically update in the timeline. You have to make the name change BEFORE you put it in the timeline.

Beware: nest sequences sparingly! It's a feature that never worked quite as well as billed in FCP. Erratic FCP behavior frequently ensues with a lot of nested sequences, and that threshold varies from system to system... so there's no hard-and-fast rule on the upper limit.

In the long run, it's better to endure a lot of audio & video tracks, and figure other ways of accomplishing the same thing without the use of nesting.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bleakley McDowell
on Nov 20, 2014 at 4:42:22 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the the response. I do rename the sequences before I nest them in the timeline, but what if I then want to rename them again? This is occurs often.

I double click on a nested sequence in a timeline to edit it, but once I've made edits it is no longer referenced in the browser. And if I make changes to the sequence in the browser they are not reflected in the nested sequence in the timeline - even when they share the same name and were originally the same sequence?

Is this just the way things are in FCP? it goes the other way too - the edits made to a nested sequence via the timeline are not reflected in the sequence in the original sequence in the browser.

Does Premier work this way too?

Thanks,
Blake

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:36:23 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:31:27 pm

You gotta make up your mind on the names. It requires forethought.

Before you go nesting sequences, you have to make sure the nested sequence is RIGHT... or come up with a Plan B for the way you work. Nested sequences require you get to the Edit Lock stage before you nest them. That's life in FCP.

As stated before, nesting sequences is NOT one of FCP's strong points. Don't believe the crap from the marketing department.

And although I don't condone Adobe's rental model for its software, Premiere would probably be a better choice than a piece of software to which NOTHING has been done for damn near four years, and which is no longer supported.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 20, 2014 at 7:32:54 pm

What Dave said. Nesting is to be used sparingly, and only if the segments in those nests are locked...no further changes being done. Because they don't always work as designed and advertised. They are dangerous things that can get you into big messes. When you get to the color correction phase, they really mess things up. I always say avoid nesting. There is no real good reason to do it. It might seem like there is, but that's only if you never color correct, and if you don't want to make changes to the sequences they represent.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bleakley McDowell
on Nov 20, 2014 at 8:37:46 pm

Ugh. Ok. Thanks.

Yes, they certainly don't seem very useful at all with the way they work, which is a shame because it could, in theory, be a nice way to edit.

Blake

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 20, 2014 at 8:47:22 pm

FCX implemented them better...calling them "auditions."

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved