FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconnect Media With Different File Name

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fanjoy
Reconnect Media With Different File Name
on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:01:46 am

Hi, all. I cannot figure out how to go about reconnecting media to a timeline that the source file names are completely different than the original timeline-created file names.

I presume unchecking the "Exact Match" box and manually choosing each file (Locate) until FC likes the matching timecode and connects it without a warning box would work. But I have about 40 edits and hundreds of source files. Doing this manually 40 times isn't an option, unless this is the absolute only way :)

Is there a way to have FC search via timecode, or any other way?

Thanks in advance.

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Reconnect Media With Different File Name
on Nov 20, 2014 at 6:39:47 am

Why are the names different? Why are you reconnecting to files with different names? Don't tell me you changed the names on the finder level...

[Mark Fanjoy] "Doing this manually 40 times isn't an option, unless this is the absolute only way :) "

Sorry, that is the absolute only way. FCP can only reconnect if the name, reel number and timecode (and clip duration) match exactly. If the name is different, it won't reconnect. It doesn't look beyond the name initially...then it looks at timecode and reel and duration. So if the name doesn't match, then it won't even look. Unless you manually, one at a time, force it to look.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:04:49 pm

Hi, Shane. Appreciate your response. I was afraid that was the case. It's the only way I've been able to connect files in this condition in the past. Wanted to explore any other possible options. But at least now I can begin the daunting process!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 25, 2014 at 3:49:34 am

FCP uses file name to locate the files.
it does NOT look for reel# or TC as a way of locating files.

there is a 3rd party app from Video Toolshed called FCP re-connect, i think, that CAN reconnect FCP timelines (and bins?) based on reel# & TC via XML

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Nov 25, 2014 at 4:30:01 am

Thanks for the lead, Nick. Will check out Video Toolshed!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]