FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with Pixel Aspect Ratio following H264 to ProRes transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Leiser
Trouble with Pixel Aspect Ratio following H264 to ProRes transfer
on Nov 19, 2014 at 4:05:52 pm

Hello

I cannot seem to find a similar thread, so I'm posting the conundrum I find myself in.

My brother imported his 7D footage (H264 codec) directly into Final Cut 7 to edit, which I wish I'd known about, since I work with ProRes all the time and could have recommended that he transfer his media to ProRes first.

Well anyways, he has a cut of his film already, so I used Media Manager to create ProRes files of all his active H264 media. It was successful, and I used Reconnect Media to link it back on the timeline.

Then I changed the Sequence Settings to the correct Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1080p 23.98fps timeline that he should be working in. The problem is, the media is in a squished 1:33 aspect ratio and I can't seem to get it to 16:9 (faux anamorphic won't do).

So I copied it and pasted it into a new sequence, but it's still not in the right Pixel Aspect Ratio. What am I doing wrong? I tried to test render, but it doesn't work. I know the media is ProRes now because when I Reveal in Finder, it links to the 16:9 ProRes file.

Thanks for your solution!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trouble with Pixel Aspect Ratio following H264 to ProRes transfer
on Nov 19, 2014 at 4:20:02 pm

Double click on a clip to load it into the Viewer...then click on MOTION tab. What does it say under DISTORT?

If you look at a clip in the bin...scroll over to the FRAME SIZE...what does it say there?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Leiser
on Nov 19, 2014 at 8:29:44 pm

Ah, under Distort in Motion, the Aspect Ratio was at "50". I switch it back to 0 and copied the clip, then selected the rest and performed a Paste > Attributes > Distort to switch all the rest to "0".

Thank you so much! And may this solution help serve others.

By the way, after converting to ProRes, it added an extra "MOV" to my file name (not the extension). I easily fixed this with a free program called NameChanger.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Nov 22, 2014 at 8:59:36 pm

[Jeffrey Leiser] "By the way, after converting to ProRes, it added an extra "MOV" to my file name (not the extension). I easily fixed this with a free program called NameChanger. "

Just a FWIW - Automator (built into Mac) can do this as well. You can create a file rename script to run for batch processing. Simply, fast, and built into every Mac! :-)

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Leiser
on Nov 23, 2014 at 9:00:46 pm

I actually tried the Replace Text feature but since I'm not replacing it Automater didn't function properly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]