FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to reduce glare

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Burgess
Need to reduce glare
on Nov 18, 2014 at 10:21:05 pm

A client had me shoot some footage in a kitchen and the cabinets are fairly glossy stained wood. My lights reflect on the cabinets to where they appear as glowing orbs on the cabinet doors.

What's the best way to reduce this glare? Do I need to use mattes? Is there some combination of effects that will work?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need to reduce glare
on Nov 18, 2014 at 10:37:12 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Nov 18, 2014 at 10:47:57 pm

Ugh. You won't be able to do much in FCP, I'm afraid.
The reason: there's no image detail in the areas with the glare. Simply isolating the areas with glare and changing their color will result in something that looks like wood-colored plastic patches on the cabinets.

Your best bet would be to use Motion: you can duplicae the layer a few times, then probably mask & position non-glare areas of the cabinet over areas with glare.

Of course, if there's camera movement or something moves in front of an area with glare, it gets trickier.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jay Burgess
on Nov 19, 2014 at 7:20:50 pm

I may try using Motion. I don't have any desire to try to rotoscope. The camera was on a tripod and was locked down with the talent speaking into the camera so there won't be any camera movement. This was a location of the clients choice - the best they could come up with.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 19, 2014 at 6:31:52 am

Best answer is a re-shoot. Failing that, what David says. One other way to go would be to rotoscope each frame by hand in photoshop, using the clone and healing brushes to paint out the burns. But you need experience to do this and not make it look worse.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]