FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB 3.0 Hot Swappable JBOD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Paredes
USB 3.0 Hot Swappable JBOD
on Nov 15, 2014 at 3:24:28 am

Is there such a thing as a USB 3.0 multi bay enclosure that allows you to mount/unmount individual HDDs WITHOUT having to unmount the other drives or power off the unit?

As big bonus it should have tool-less trays OR the option to get extra trays. I don't want to be fiddling with any screws each time I have to swap out drives.

I'm tired of having external HDs each with its own set of cables and power supply bricks!

Would be nice to have one unit which allows you to do the above mentioned feat.

FYI, I don't care if it's RAID capable or not but if it is good!

Thanks for any feedback!

Xavier

Return to posts index

Philip Howe
Re: USB 3.0 Hot Swappable JBOD
on Nov 15, 2014 at 1:37:32 pm

LaCie and OWC have 4-5 bay hot-swappable tray drives that use Apple formatting of nearly flavour. DROBO make 4-12 drive assemblies but you have to use THEIR formatting and support durations - a problematic limitation.

philip

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: USB 3.0 Hot Swappable JBOD
on Nov 17, 2014 at 2:38:13 am

[Xavier Paredes] "Is there such a thing as a USB 3.0 multi bay enclosure that allows you to mount/unmount individual HDDs WITHOUT having to unmount the other drives or power off the unit? As big bonus it should have tool-less trays OR the option to get extra trays. I don't want to be fiddling with any screws each time I have to swap out drives."
I'm using a CineRAID enclosure that might be just what you are looking for. It can be used as a JBOD or RAID, is tool-less, and hot swappable, with USB 3.0 and eSATA connections. Best thing it's nearly silent.

I'm really happy with it. I have it loaded with 4 x 3TB WD NAS RED's for a 12GB RAID 5 storage.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]