FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing SD files into HD project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Helene Thomassen
Importing SD files into HD project
on Nov 14, 2014 at 3:05:20 pm

Hi! Small question. I need to import some Mpeg 2 (SD) files into an HD project (Fcp7), I think I will use iFFmpeg to convert to PRORES. My question is: is it best to convert the size to HD in iFFmpeg before importing it, or should I just rescale it in FCP7. Does it make any difference? (other than file size)
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Importing SD files into HD project
on Nov 14, 2014 at 4:41:25 pm

[Helene Thomassen] "I think I will use iFFmpeg to convert to PRORES."

Use that as a last resort...the files it makes are less than great in FCP. Even though ProRes, they aren't "Apple ProRes", and that does mean something. Use Compressor, or MPEG STREAMCLIP. Although if you scale, best to use Compressor. FFMPEG and MPEG STREAMCLIP don't scale well. Adobe Premiere actually does the best scaling, as does After Effects.

FCP doesn't scale well at all. Won't past muster.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Helene Thomassen
on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:19:12 pm

So you mean I can just open the mpeg2 files in Compressor and export them as Apple ProRes (and scale)?
Mpeg Streamclip is what I usually use but for some reason these particular Mpeg 2 files (from a film archive) wont open, usually I have no problem with Mpeg 2.
Thank you for the information about iFFmpeg, didn't know this!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Philip Howe
on Nov 15, 2014 at 2:59:52 pm

You need to resd a little of Compressor's Help file or User Manual on this subject so as to set up Job for Compessor. It will then be clearer - the jobs are quick and very clean. Best wishes

philip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]