COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Rougeau
Could someone please give me a detailed explanation on how to fix this problem
on Nov 9, 2014 at 10:28:02 pm

Please look at the image

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Could someone please give me a detailed explanation on how to fix this problem
on Nov 9, 2014 at 11:04:26 pm

Well, that would require a more detailed question...laying out of the issues. In looking at that, I can guess that your footage is HD...1920x1080. And your sequence settings are not...they are most likely DV...720x480. Thus why your full 16x9 footage is cropped 4:3, and requires rendering instantly.

Your footage should never require rendering in the timeline. If they do...something is wrong. The first clip you add to a blank timeline, FCP asks "Do you want the sequence to match the clip?" Click YES. If you don't, then your footage will be in whatever your EASY SETUP is set to...and you'll have to render. Not good. If you do it right, click YES, no rendering will be required, not for basic editing.

Also...what are your CLIP settings? What codec is the footage you are working with? And what are the Sequence settings?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gabriel Rougeau
Re: Could someone please give me a detailed explanation on how to fix this problem
on Nov 11, 2014 at 4:18:37 am

Ok, so you were right, the sequence settings were set to 720x480, but when I switched them (manually) to 1920x1080, this happened (picture below).

Clip settings are 1920x1080, codec H.264, Linear PCM

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 11, 2014 at 4:29:51 am

FCP doesn't work very well with H.264. You'll have all sorts of Sync issues. If not while cutting, when you export. Always need to convert the footage to ProRes 422 first...and yes, the resulting files will be MUCH LARGER than the originals. If you want to edit the native files, you need to look to other software, like Premiere Pro.

A quick fix that works sometimes, is to make the sequence setting COMPRESSOR to be ProRes 422...and render that. It's a stop gap solution, and works sometimes.

As for the size...select ALL your footage in the timeline, right click, and choose REMOVE ATTRIBUTES. And then choose BASIC MOTION and DISTORT. That'll make them fit.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gabriel Rougeau
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:23:45 am

Okay thanks. It's rendering now. I chose Apple ProRes 422 in sequence settings. There was also the option for Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), does that make a difference?

Another question while we're on the subject, I use final cut for my own personal footage and my clips are also H.264, and I've gotten used to the mediocre quality of my exports. I have a very expensive camera, and when I look at the clips on my camera they're beautiful, but they lose quality in FCP, is this because of some of my settings? Could you advise me on how to properly import the footage so that the quality stays at its potential? The outcome isn't horrible, but its still noticeable when faces aren't as crisp as they should be.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]