FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect ratio in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tatjana Hamilton
Aspect ratio in FCPX
on Nov 9, 2014 at 8:14:56 am

Hi,

What aspect ratio should I use to get the best 'cinema style' in FCPX using Letterbox??

I'm not picky, just need something that looks similar

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Aspect ratio in FCPX
on Nov 9, 2014 at 8:43:53 pm

Why not just apply different masks on a top layer?

Return to posts index

Tatjana Hamilton
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:16:06 am

The only way I knew how to do it was using the letterbox effect. Worked it out in the end.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 24, 2014 at 5:35:01 pm

[Tatjana Hamilton] "The only way I knew how to do it was using the letterbox effect. Worked it out in the end."
A better alternate workflow may have been to set up your project to match the aspect that you want your movie to be. Then render to the delivery aspect using a custom template that preserves the aspect ratio of your project. Letterboxing should never be done during the edit. Letterboxing is an artifact of mismatched delivery formats and should always be done during delivery/rendering.

For example: if you are working in HD and want your aspect to be 2.39:1 (Cinema Scope/21:9) set your FCP X project to 1920 x 803 and do all of your editing and cropping at this aspect. It will make editing a lot easier.

Then if you want to deliver that to 1920x1080 Letterboxed, just customize a template in Compressor and on the Video tab under Video Properties set the Frame Size to 1920x1080 and under Cropping & Padding set the Padding to Preserve Source Aspect Ratio and you will get your 2.39:1 aspect movie letterboxed in a 1920x1080 video.

This gives you the added benefit of being able to delver in your native aspect for viewing on a Cinema Scope TV or in theaters was well as being able letterbox for 4:3 SD delivery which you can't do easily if you letterbox in your project.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]