FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I sync multi cam footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jai Gopal
How can I sync multi cam footage?
on Nov 6, 2014 at 7:31:20 pm

Is there any plugin or software which can sync 2-3 different cameras footage. I know there is a way to sync multi cam but if the footage is from the same make and on the same settings but I use 3 different make cameras for multi cam shoot. I heard about a software or plugin which match the footage according to the audio analytics.
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How can I sync multi cam footage?
on Nov 6, 2014 at 7:52:20 pm

You are looking for PluralEyes. And that will group them...but stack them in layers. You won't get a "true" multiclip, but you will have all the footage linked. And you will have to render any angle you use that doesn't match the sequence settings.

Best to convert all the footage to FCP media first...FCP doesn't work with camera native formats.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:44:40 pm

Jai, never mind the differences in cameras, just convert all the camera footage into matching ProRes 422 format FIRST, then the multicam function in FCP7 will work just fine.

FCPX has the same technology built into it as Pluraleyes in terms of synching the tracks via their audio or via time code, or, via a common synch point like a hand clap or camera strobe flash, etc. It's not hard in FCP-7 but FCPX makes multicam stupid-simple to set up.

Return to posts index

Jai Gopal
on Nov 8, 2014 at 1:22:48 am

Hi,

Thanks for your help. FCPx is almost the same cost of the redgain plugin for syncing. I am thinking to upgrade my FCP. Is that's useful? I still have lots of uncompleted projects which I have half edited in FCP7. Will it be a problem to carry on working on those projects in FCPx?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 8, 2014 at 1:43:42 am

Sorry, no idea. I don't use FCX, so I can't compare.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jai Gopal
on Nov 8, 2014 at 1:10:08 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your help. Is this plugin batter then FCPx multi cam sync option? What's the deference in both options?
I am not using camera native footage for editing. I usually convert the footage into 422 prores and then start editing.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 8, 2014 at 4:17:07 am

"Thanks for your help. FCPx is almost the same cost of the redgain plugin for syncing. I am thinking to upgrade my FCP. Is that's useful? I still have lots of uncompleted projects which I have half edited in FCP7. Will it be a problem to carry on working on those projects in FCPx?"

You should be planning to replace FCP7 no matter what else: it has been EOL'd over three years now, and with each new OS upgrade, the chances grow that it will lose functions and eventually "break". We're hearing rumbles already. You should be checking out replacement software and saving money to buy it already.

I can say as a person who uses both FCP7 and FCPX, that, while it wasn't very capable at the outset, the latest version of FCPX is a good platform, inexpensive, and very fast. It was designed to do more work for you, and to let you concentrate on shaping a story, versus doing a lot of mechanical work. I think you might like it, but if you just don't, then look at Adobe Premiere which should feel familiar to FCP7 users.

To answer your question about unfinished FCP7 projects, there IS a workflow to move such projects into an FCPX environment for completion. However, I think you should go ahead and finish those up in Seven before you make the jump. Mostly, because you already are comfortable, and therefore, faster, for the moment, in 7.

But you're in a car that's headed off a cliff with 7. You have from a few blocks to a quarter-mile to get off and get a new ride.

Return to posts index

Jai Gopal
on Nov 8, 2014 at 11:49:46 am

Thanks. Really usful information.

Return to posts index

Jai Gopal
on Nov 8, 2014 at 1:40:35 pm

Does the option work with different frame rate multi came footage?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 8, 2014 at 7:37:00 pm

What you'd typically do in FCPX is set your preferences to automatically transcode all footage into one standard during the input process. Then FCPX will let you start editing on proxy footage while that transcoding takes place in the background, any time the machine is idle. Or, you set it to import and convert-on-import, and go have lunch and everything is harmonized for you into one codec and frame rate when you get back. Also, if you checked off the appropriate boxes, it has already pre-processed your audio levels, grouped channels, eliminated empty channels, and cleaned up any noise it detects, it has leveled out your video brightness levels, and even, if you wan, it will have done facial recognition and marked your footage in terms of closeups, 2-shots an group shots. What I'm saying is that the software just handles a lot of that kind of "mechanical" stuff that an FCP7 user would have to expend effort on.

Now, you can argue that some of those "mechanical" things can affect the aesthetic and so you WANT to manage them manually. And FCPX will leave those things alone for you to do, if that's your preference. For more casual users, those "who want to know what time it is, and not how to build the clock", this level of automation is very welcome.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]