Syncing Poliphonic

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alberto Bernad
Syncing Poliphonic
on Nov 6, 2014 at 11:42:30 am

Hi there!

Editing in FCP 7.0.3

I need to sync audio and video. My video (ProRes Proxy 24fps) has 4 silent channels because the Raw Viewer don´t let me uncheck the audio box when exporting. In the other hand I have the audiofiles which poliphonic (6 or 4 mono tracks)
When Syncing the merged clips keeps 4 silent tracks + 6 mono tracks, so How can I merge only video + 2 tracks (stereo) in order to make the edit easier?
I´ve tried to put the merged files in a timeline, delete all the audio I don´t need and the drag those clips to the browser, but if I match frame those new clips, It takes me to sync folder (10 audio channels). So at the end I have my footage triplicated (original master clip - merged clip 10 audio ch - merged clip 2 audio ch)
Any tip or advice?

Thank you so much in advance.

System specs:
Mac Pro
OSX 10.9.4
2x 2,26 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
8 Gb 1066 Mhz DDR3

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Syncing Poliphonic
on Nov 7, 2014 at 2:45:51 am

you only need the latest merged clip as a master clip,
the others can be removed.

better, keep the projects where you do your syncing work,
and copy all the final synced clips into a new project, just for editing.

nick

Return to posts index

alberto Bernad
on Nov 7, 2014 at 11:01:02 am

Hi Nick,

If I do that, here is my question: I can´t go back to the original video/audio, right?

The polyphonic has 6 channels (1-2 mix L&R, 3Boom-4radio-5radio-6radio). When merged I only keep the mix, but if in some point the editor wants Ch 4radio (main character). How can I go back If not keeping the originals?

My shortcuts are: 'F' match frame (clip to the viewer) 'Cmd + Option + F' show me the master audio&video (including all channels) If I delete o change project no one of these will work.

I thought FCP7 had similar tools or procedure as Avid MC, but after a lot of test I assume that the FCP works very different. Maybe is more easy that I think..

Thanks Nick!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 7, 2014 at 2:19:42 pm

hi, Alberto.

"My shortcuts are: 'F' match frame (clip to the viewer) 'Cmd + Option + F' show me the master audio&video (including all channels) If I delete o change project no one of these will work. "

im pretty sure that Option Cmd F will bring up the original master file of the audio, with all tracks,
you can then over-cut the track you want.
like avid, you have to make sure the audio is the selected track

when you aver cut, i think you can link hte new track in hte timeline and get preoer sync warnings if that should arise (which you wouldn't get in avid, i believe)

however, one possible issue that will arise is that the clip you are working with in the timeline will not match frame with the new track, only what was in the original master clip

i did my first Avid job in years just a few weeks ago,
but i had good assistants working for me.
we found it best to work with clips with all the tracks, as we knew we would need them occasionally.
i edited with the mix rack , just by targeting only that track.

is that doable for you?

we did initially create master clips w just the mix track (was a real hassle, too)
but while we could over-cut the multitrack, we would not get out-of-sync indicators.

on my last few films in FCP, i just bit the bullet, and cut w the multi track clips
ok on simple shoots, but a bit annoying on the last film wehre they got up to 11 tracks!

the is a 3d party app for FCP called Sync n Link
check it out
you can cut w one track (even camera audio guide if your 100% confident TC matches, but if you are i have a bridge i can sell you)
anyway, you cut with one track,
export an XML, run it thru Sync n LInk,
and it gives you back a timeline w the multis in place.

i dont think these are genuine master clips, however,
it is mainly for finishing, or preparing for handover to sound post.

nick

Return to posts index

alberto Bernad
on Nov 12, 2014 at 11:18:01 am

Hi Nick,

"we found it best to work with clips with all the tracks, as we knew we would need them occasionally.
i edited with the mix rack , just by targeting only that track.

is that doable for you?"

The editor and I had a meeting yesterday (He was on a trip and could not meet before) and we will work with the method you described, working with merged clips. He does not care how many audio tracks the merged clip has, as he will go first through the viewer and choose which tracks he needs/wants before drop the clip to the timeline.
The only thing I have to do before merging clips is dismiss the audio from camera that comes with the video. The reason why I have to do that in FCP is because Raw Viewer (the software I´m using to transcode the MXF footage from Sony F55) does not allow me uncheck the audio.

So, at the end of the syncing I have the master clips (audio & video) and one Bin with the merged clips (this big bin has subfolders for each sequence). In this way "reveal clip in Browser" always works.
After that, the editor will open a new project with the sequences bins only.

That´s is much easier for everyone.

Thanks for you time!!

Rock&Roll!!

Alberto.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]