FORUMS: list search recent posts

GoPro 3+ footage in FCP 7 AND an executable ready to play file..?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marshall Beecher
GoPro 3+ footage in FCP 7 AND an executable ready to play file..?
on Nov 4, 2014 at 10:09:19 pm

Gang, I've got 2 issues:

Hate to beat a dead horse, but I seem to be having problems using GoPro 3+ converted files on a FCP timeline and was looking for further ideas. I have the footage converted in MPEG streamclip (and tried using QT Pro 7 with same result) to an apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) file, keeping all the frame sizes and attributes of the source footage (1920X1080 30fps). I've tried to edit it on a FinalCut timeline, (which also matches FCP's sequence settings as I let the sequence match the clip settings with FCP's dialog box) then use "export using quicktime", which is selected as using the same settings as the sequence. The resulting footage, when burned to a Blu Ray disc, results in choppy motion and a very rough almost pixelated look to all the elements of the scene, almost an extremely oversharpened look. Is there something I'm forgetting to do? The workflow from FCP to Blu Ray is one that I've used for edited ingested AVCHD footage before which always works and looks great, so I'd assume theres nothing on the FCP to BR Disc the process that would compromise the video's quality, right?

Secondly, is there a proper workflow for making a directly executable HD file to be played back on a PC to an HD projector, so I can avoid having to make a disc in the first place, and just use a ready to play computer file? I've tried a few file exports using compressor, (again with AVCHD footage which looks great on disc) but the motion from computer file doesn't ever look quite like the original footage looks. Again, is there something I'm forgetting?

I'm editing short shows, not any longer than 10-15 mins in length. I hope I've provided enough info about it. Many thanks for any and all ideas.

Marshall
Chicago, IL.

Computer:
Mac Book Pro
OS X 10.6
8 GB RAM dual core processor
dedicated 500 GB scratch disc on a FW 800 connection

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: GoPro 3+ footage in FCP 7 AND an executable ready to play file..?
on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:14:39 am

[Marshall Beecher] " The resulting footage, when burned to a Blu Ray disc, results in choppy motion and a very rough almost pixelated look to all the elements of the scene, almost an extremely oversharpened look."

OK...what does the exported file look like? BEFORE you take it into the BluRay authoring software...play the file. How does that look? Choppy...pixelated? Then FCP might be the issue. If it looks nice and clean, then the issue lies with how it was compressed for BluRay.

[Marshall Beecher] "Secondly, is there a proper workflow for making a directly executable HD file to be played back on a PC to an HD projector, so I can avoid having to make a disc in the first place, and just use a ready to play computer file?"

Take that self contained file and compressed it as an MP4. MPEG STREAMCLIP will do this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marshall Beecher
on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:26:45 am

Hey Shane, thanks for the assistance..

"OK...what does the exported file look like? BEFORE you take it into the BluRay authoring software...play the file. How does that look? Choppy...pixelated? Then FCP might be the issue. If it looks nice and clean, then the issue lies with how it was compressed for BluRay."

From what I can tell, and again since I've never had good luck with making a quality-looking executable file, I'd say it looks the same as it does on Blu Ray. There isn't some sort of plug-in that I'd need or anything, I'd take it?!? (I really need a good monitor though!)

"Take that self contained file and compressed it as an MP4. MPEG STREAMCLIP will do this."

I have not done that, to this point. I will definitely give that a try. Thanks again for all the help!

Marshall

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:32:23 am

No plugin that I know of. I just export...play it back and see. Now, try exporting it to your media drive...not your system drive. Perhaps your system drive can't keep up?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marshall Beecher
on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:42:53 am

Ok, thats a good thought, appreciated.

Let me do a little test sequence later tonite and see what happens.
Thanks.

MWB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]