FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on a long term storage solution. Go for a RAID?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Advice on a long term storage solution. Go for a RAID?
on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:55:05 pm

So, I'm accumulating a bit too much footage from various things to keep using G-tech drives. And I'm about to start editing a project where I have about 4 GB just in AVCHD files just from filming, files that haven't yet expanded from being transferred.

I need to start thinking long term about storage. I'm editing right now in FCP7 although that might change when I begin editing a feature this February.

Does that mean getting a RAID setup and just buying a bunch of external hard drives for it? I guess I could use externals in cases, like G-Teach drives, buying one drive for editing and a cheaper external just for copying it as a backup instead of editing. Are there other options? I'm not sure where to go. I just know I need to start planning.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Advice on a long term storage solution. Go for a RAID?
on Nov 4, 2014 at 8:27:22 pm

You'll have to do two things.

1) Get archive drives for your camera masters. Either external RAID 1 units. Or, cheaper, get bare SATA drives and a USB/FW800/ESATA/TB drive dock. Archive to those drives...and clone them so you have TWO drives with each backup. if it isn't in two places, it doesn't exist. Because drives fail.

2) Get a BIG RAID for working. If you are going to use FCP or Avid, you'll have to transcode that AVCHD footage. And the ProRes or DNxHD conversions will take up 4x-5x the storage space as the originals. So get a big 20TB-36TB RAID. MacSales.com has good options, CalDigit.com, Pegasus...lots of options.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: Advice on a long term storage solution. Go for a RAID?
on Nov 18, 2014 at 7:05:58 pm

So, I'm thinking of buying the OWC Thunderbay IV (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044641-REG/owc_other_world_computing_owctbivkit0gb_thunderbay_iv_4_bay_enclosure.html) and getting drives to swap in and out. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]