FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting Mezzanine files to Pro Res

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Urbina
Converting Mezzanine files to Pro Res
on Nov 3, 2014 at 11:27:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm working for a client who needs a movie promo reel done, however the material I need to pull from only exists in the form of MP4 "mezzanine" files, which I believe is a sort of delivery file. Each mezzanine file contains one 90 minute movie and is about 30 gigs.

I know I can't edit with these in FCP, they'll barely play back at speed in the viewer, and I know I need to convert them to prores. My question is: what is the best conversion workflow for editing with mezzanine files?

Anyone out there that can help?

Thanks
David

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Converting Mezzanine files to Pro Res
on Nov 4, 2014 at 12:09:11 am

Compressor has presets. Use those. Choose the one that matches the frame type of the original...interlaced or ProGressive. Guessing progressive as web files like MP4 are only progressive.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Urbina
on Nov 4, 2014 at 1:15:32 am

Thanks Shane. Do you know if there is any difference between a regular MP4 and a Mezzanine MP4? Or are they basically the same? Is it fine to just convert to prores via compressor? So far it looks like it's going to be a total of 8 hours to convert.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 4, 2014 at 1:32:14 am

[David Urbina] "Do you know if there is any difference between a regular MP4 and a Mezzanine MP4? "

Mezzanine tends to have a higher data rate...be cleaner. Higher quality.

[David Urbina] "Is it fine to just convert to prores via compressor?"

Yes.

[David Urbina] "So far it looks like it's going to be a total of 8 hours to convert."

for 90 min? The estimates aren't always accurate...but that could be right. Might want to do a test of a small section...you can set IN and OUT points. See if it looks good.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Urbina
on Nov 4, 2014 at 1:33:56 am

Good man. Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]