FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple ProRes Footage: Is there a Faster Way to Render/Export?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Morabe
Apple ProRes Footage: Is there a Faster Way to Render/Export?
on Nov 3, 2014 at 5:57:06 pm

Hey all! Looking to see if we can decrease our rendering/exporting time of our Apple ProRes 422 (LT) timelines.

I currently have a 58min+ timeline with color correction and multiple cuts that obviously make my timeline go "green" due to needing rendering. Problem is, it's going to take 7 hours to render.

Is there some type of hardware that can accelerate this? Maybe I had heard wrong, but are there hardware encoders that can almost make this act in real time? We would use it for FCP, Premiere Pro CC, and After Effects. Thanks all!

FCP 7 Editor, Gaffer, Grip, Camera man...Swiss Army Knife!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Apple ProRes Footage: Is there a Faster Way to Render/Export?
on Nov 3, 2014 at 6:22:51 pm

That's why The Good Lord made the night time... for FCP exporting, y'know. You sleep, the machine works.

Or maybe it was for rendering in After Effects.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Nov 3, 2014 at 6:26:17 pm

Agreed! It seems unless you have the top TOP TOP of the line machine, there's always limitations to how fast we can go these days. 10 years I've been doing this, and the workflow gets quicker, but now that we started using mainly Apple ProRes files, days are now longer LOL! 7 hours of rendering to go!

Return to posts index

Jamie O' Rourke
on Nov 3, 2014 at 7:12:12 pm

Hey Michael,

Doesn't directly speak to your timeline render issue and may be something you are fully aware of but once timeline is rendered, you can get some time back if rather than exporting whatever file types needed e.g. ProRes Masters, H.264s etc etc you

1. Make movie of timeline settings. Ensure 'Make Movie Self Contained' is unticked.
This will take only a minute
2. Open that file in MPEGstreamclip
3. Make whatever file types/associated codecs needed from there.

MPEGstreamclip is quick, versatile and has the added benefit of allowing you use FCP again without waiting while each export takes place.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 3, 2014 at 7:30:32 pm

[Michael Morabe] "Is there some type of hardware that can accelerate this?"

Only a computer with faster processors. And processors aren't upgradable, so the only thing is a faster computer. More RAM is negligible. And there's no hardware encoding solutions for ProRes...only for H.264 exports. (Matrox Compress HD, for example).

And a 58 min timeline taking 7 hours? Sounds about right. Could also be an number of other filters you might have too...they add times as well. I have a skin smoothing one...and also a noise reducing one...that will add HOURS to that time. Simply clean up 5 min of that 50 min show...only 5 min with that noise reducer...jumps from 7 hours to 16. So it might be other filters too.

And a 50 min project in the Color App, might take 5-6 hours to render out as well...so it seems like the normal time.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Nov 3, 2014 at 8:37:12 pm

Agreed. That's how we normally do it. We're just finally doing a lot of filming on our DSLR's for projects and record to our Atomos Samurai Blade which we record to ProRes 422 LT. I guess we just have to let it run and deal with it later! Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 4, 2014 at 4:52:38 am

as a side note, i suggest you take the time to RENDER your timeline before you export it.

any additional tweaks / changes will be mach faster tho deal with as the majority of your timeline is rendered,
and any re-exporting will be much faster.

nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 4, 2014 at 4:57:28 am

oh, and for what it's worth, i found effects on Prores LT do take longer to render,
certainly compared with the same effects on Prores4444.

i know this from working up effects on my offline, then re-doing them on our camera originals.

i wonder if changing your timeline to Prores4444 (or something other than LT) would speed up your process?

nick

Return to posts index

Michael Morabe
on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:13:08 am

I actually did a test. Since we're only using the footage for the Web, I created two identical length timelines with the Apple ProRes 422 LT with the same effects and whatnot. I then exported both out (Native timeline vs DVCPRO HD 720/30) and the latter did end up going much faster. I think unless we were using for TV or Film, this is a great work around to having to wait so long to Render/Export.

This could be huge for us depending on if we're doing TV or Web which is like 80/20 with Web being on top.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]