FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting 4 Tracks XDCAM Audio - 2 tracks only?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Ash Brennan
Exporting 4 Tracks XDCAM Audio - 2 tracks only?
on Oct 28, 2014 at 3:52:57 pm

Hey guys
I am exporting an XDCAM Sequence using FCP 7 & the Sony XDCAM Software, with 4 tracks of Audio (2 Stereo Pairs) set to '4 TRACKS, DUAL MONO' on Export.
My issue is that I am trying to check the outputted file to make sure it has the correct Audio config and the vision is correct.
Using XDCAM transfer so I can monitor the audio back in FCP 7, I am only getting 2 tracks of audio. Even though the MXF file says the file has 4 tracks.
Any ideas?

Cheers
Ash Brennan
Hired Gun TV

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: Exporting 4 Tracks XDCAM Audio - 2 tracks only?
on Oct 30, 2014 at 1:55:58 pm

In your sequence settings - audio output, do you have 2 or 4 tracks selected?

Return to posts index

Jamie O' Rourke
on Nov 3, 2014 at 10:00:27 pm

Ah Roger, sorry missed your reply.

Return to posts index

Jamie O' Rourke
on Nov 3, 2014 at 9:42:30 pm

Hey Ash,

You say you set audio when exporting. Have you changed your audio settings in sequence settings to 4 tracks, dual mono?

I use MXF4mac, free software, to watch back mxf files and check my audio tracks play across the 4 channels - you can turn off each channel and hear what's playing in each channel individually.

Is it the same audio you'll have in each track? This may result in peaking. Generally I'd have main audio in channels 1/2 and music &effects in 3 and 4.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Nov 5, 2014 at 1:38:59 pm

You missed my response and for some reason yours didn't show up either. However, I you have multiple tracks they will mix down to 2 unless you tell FCP otherwise.
Firstly, go to sequence settings, choose the audio output tab then change the default 2 outputs to 4-6-8 or as many as you need.

You are not finished yet, it will still output 2 tracks..

In your timeline go to the left and then right click between the toggle and padlock icons to assign the tracks.
in your case 4 dual mono. So, track 1 assign to tracks 1&2. Track 2 assign to tracks 1&2, Track 3 Assign to tracks 3&4. Track 4 assign to tracks 3&4.

If you don't do that all your tracks are assigned to tracks 1&2.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Anthony Ash Brennan
on Jul 4, 2015 at 9:34:32 am

Thanks for you replies
Sorry for my lateness in reply.
I need to confirm though, if my sequence, in this case a 30min program which has audio scattered around 10 tracks with dialogue, music and fx, do I have to export the sequence as a QT, then re import the QT and use the Audio only from the QT, so I have 2 complete audio streams, before I export using Sony XDCAM?
No matter what my audio config, I can't get the mix I need just straight exporting to Sony XDCAM.

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Jul 4, 2015 at 11:19:19 am

Hopefully this will find you sometime soon. Shane Ross posted an excellent tutorial on this very subject. You can find it here: https://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/multi-audio/video-tutor...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]