FORUMS: list search recent posts

any suggestions for an MXF converter that keeps audio tracks separate?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hindman
any suggestions for an MXF converter that keeps audio tracks separate?
on Oct 23, 2014 at 4:42:20 am

I shoot on a Canon XF300 that creates MXF files.

Occasionally I do some cutting on FCP7, or clients ask me if I can give them prores files...
I've tried a whole heaps of MXF converters, all of which seem to be the same software with different company names and dashboards.
All of them seem to have the same issues.
Pavtube, Aunsoft, Acrok...

When converting the video they dont put audio 1 to the converted audio 1, and audio 2 to the converted audio 2.
They seem to duplicate audio 1 onto both tracks of the converted video. Bizarre. I cant think why anyone would want this.
I need to keep both tracks as I record different mics on each channel. Quite normal I would have thought.

Some programmes do offer a "split audio track", in which you have to select "merge audio" ???? in order to split the output. This does work, but the conversions only happen in their default settings. So if I need a 25fps prores video, all I can get is the 23.98fps default option.
There are also limited options on which formats you can convert to. Sometimes I use FCE, and would like to convert to AIC.

Any ideas?? I've been through the thing with the software support people, they have ended up saying that they have no plans to fix the issue. They seem to think it's not a big deal, or that most people want mono duplicated audio on their videos.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: any suggestions for an MXF converter that keeps audio tracks separate?
on Oct 23, 2014 at 8:01:56 am

EditReady from divergentmedia.com. Free demo available. HIGHLY recommend it. All those others you mention are bush league..

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Hindman
on Oct 23, 2014 at 10:08:03 pm

Thanks...

I've just tried EditReady as you suggested... but it doesn't keep the audio tracks separate either. It mixes them together.

So audio track 1 from the MXF file appears on both A1 & A2 of the converted file, and A2 from the MXF again appears on A1 & A2 on the converted file.

I've contacted their help desk but there are hardly any settings in this software so I'm not holding my breath.

It also cant convert to AIC, only prores and DNxHD. Which I could live with, but yea, not quite an answer yet.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 23, 2014 at 10:35:50 pm

[Scott Hindman] "It also cant convert to AIC, only prores and DNxHD. Which I could live with, but yea, not quite an answer yet."

ProRes is a MUCH BETTER codec. AIC is very low quality...lossy, can't maintain a timecode track. A stop gap measure invented back in FCP 5 days. It's very old...shouldn't even be considered.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Scott Hindman
on Oct 23, 2014 at 10:57:25 pm

yes so true.

thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Scott Hindman
on Oct 23, 2014 at 10:26:23 pm

OK, now I must humbly eat my hat ;)

When I tried EditReady I thought that the audio tracks were mixed together, but as it turns out, that was just the pan setting on the player I was using.
Several players actually.

But when I imported it to FCP the tracks were two separate mono tracks just the same as the original MXF.

Perfect. Thanks so much for the advice.

Scott

Return to posts index

Lee Eric
on Dec 8, 2014 at 4:11:26 am

Hi Scott Hindman, hope you slove it already. I also face the problem, Is there a perfect way to solve it? Thx.

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:26:44 am

I just has the same problem like you , I shot my videos with an external mic so I need to keep two audio channels in it. But I used this imixmxf , and it allows me to seperate those audios. choose "Multi-track video" then go to the "settings" ui , not sure if it works for you but it works for me.

Return to posts index

Scott Hindman
on Dec 11, 2014 at 3:20:10 am

Yea I tried ImixMXF, but I foudn it wouldn't hold the settings when convertign a batch of clips.
ie: I loaded a folder with 50 clips, set the output to prores 422 50fps, top quality, and it converted the first clip with this setting, then did the rest of the clips at the default setting of NTSC 29.97 fps.

Very annoying.

I have found the "Editready" software pretty good. BUT it has been crashing a bit, and only converting some clips "partially". Something to do with interrupted background process. Very odd. I havent asked for help on that one yet.

It was also weird to me that when I played the converted file from Editready on my quicktime pro7, it showed identical audio channels. But when i imported it to FCP the channels were split and separate signals. I'm guessing there is some indicator in the file that tells quicktime how to pan the audio tracks. L&R or both MID.

It does still amaze me that no one has really offered the perfect solve for this. I do thin editready will be good once they fix this latest issue. I'm completely over dealing with the people from Pavtube. They have no idea. Even the fact you have to select "mix audio tracks" when you want to separate them. ridiculous.

Anyway I hope Editready or ImixMXF works for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]