FORUMS: list search recent posts

If I have a file that is a MOV file, should I change it to ProRes before using it in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
If I have a file that is a MOV file, should I change it to ProRes before using it in FCP
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:00:33 pm

I'm making a film with lots of archival footage. Some things are MOV files but the codec isnt Pro Res like the footage I shot for the film. Should I convert it before using it or just use it as is?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: If I have a file that is a MOV file, should I change it to ProRes before using it in FCP
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:22:30 pm

Convert it. If the codec of the footage isn't one found in FCP's EASY SETUP list: DVCPRO HD, XDCAM, HDV, ProRes, DV/NTSC...then you need to convert it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: If I have a file that is a MOV file, should I change it to ProRes before using it in FCP
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:37:46 pm

Even if it seems to play well in the timeline? (Thanks for the quick response!)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:50:04 pm

It's deceptive. And it stinks that it's deceptive. Yes, some formats might PLAY fine. But if you use a lot of that footage in the timeline, you might lose sync. Export it...lose sync, or glitching will occur. This happens time and time and time again when people post here "Why did I lose sync?" "Why is the movie I exported not matching the cut? Seems to be showing random parts of the clips I used and not the parts I wanted." "Why is my export out of sync?"

The first question we ask is, "Is the footage MP4, or H.264...some non-FCP codec?" And 99% of the time we get, "yes...it is!" And when I online shows that the editor has thrown in ANIMATION or MOTION JPEG-A or H.264 files, I always have issues.

FCP works best with FCP codecs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:51:43 pm

Perfect answer. You rock dude!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]