FORUMS: list search recent posts

keeping QuickTime Pro in Final Cut 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Johnson
keeping QuickTime Pro in Final Cut 7
on Oct 20, 2014 at 8:08:51 pm

Is there a way to keep QuickTime Pro 7 once Final Cut Studio has been replaced by Final Cut X? My (paid for) Final Cut Studio discs are laughing at me right now, as I'd love to make use of QuickTime Pro without having the entire suite installed (per Apple's recomendation).

I saw an article that discussed copying over Final Cut Studio System ID file, but that doesn't seem to work any longer.

Any help?

Mac Pro running 10.9.3
Final Cut X

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: keeping QuickTime Pro in Final Cut 7
on Oct 20, 2014 at 8:55:11 pm

Quicktime is being phased out by Apple. At least the "Pro" part of it. Apple is moving away from it as the engine for FCP, and moving towards AV FOUNDATION. In the last two OS versions, Apple only makes QTX which is pretty much only a player, with very limited other capabilities. QT7 only remains on your system if you upgrade around it...or if you install from the older installer. But I am not sure you can unlock the pro part of it...maybe. Not sure, as I installed OS versions around mine. I'm using Mavericks and still have QT 7.

The only way to unlock QT7 and make it PRO without having to buy the product key for that, is to install FCP 7. NOt the entire suite, just FCP 7 will do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:07:58 pm

I understand they are phasing it out, or at least not focusing on it. But for now, they still sell it, so that has to mean something, right?
If I need to re-purchase it, that's fine; $30 isn't going to break the bank.

So, my two follow up questions:

- If I install FCP7 to access QT7, can I immediately run FCP Remover and still keep QT7?

- Given all the warnings to not have FCP7 and FCX installed on the same machine, is it safe to install FCP7 and then immediately delete it without opening?

Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 21, 2014 at 3:49:36 pm

[Mike Johnson] "But for now, they still sell it, so that has to mean something, right?"

I was unaware they were still selling it. If you own a license...one purchased separate from FCP, then it should work. BUT, if your license only came with FCP 7, then it only works with FCP 7 installed.

[Mike Johnson] "- If I install FCP7 to access QT7, can I immediately run FCP Remover and still keep QT7?"

QT7...yes. That doesn't get installed with FCP 7. That's a separate install. The unlock key is part of FCP 7. But will that get removed too when you use FCS Remover? I have no idea...as I haven't done it. I don't know if people who have removed FCP 7 that way still have QT7 Pro. I would think the license gets yanked too, as all the small pref files are removed as well. But that's only a guess.

[Mike Johnson] "- Given all the warnings to not have FCP7 and FCX installed on the same machine, is it safe to install FCP7 and then immediately delete it without opening?"

There are warnings not to have this? I know people who have both...they just need to do tricks to get them to both install on the same system.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mike Johnson
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:18:36 pm

Thanks very much for the input, Shane.
Looks like I need to refresh my system back-up and give it a whirl.

...Or shell out 30 bucks.

Return to posts index

Ben Youngerman
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:53:07 pm

I have been operating QT7 for years independently of FCP 7 and recently FCP X. I have done several uninstalls and re-installs of FCP and always maintained QT7 with no issues. I find QT7 very useful for time-lapse assembly. I also keep QT10 installed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]