FORUMS: list search recent posts

New iMac 5K Editing System?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Dicken
New iMac 5K Editing System?
on Oct 19, 2014 at 8:00:24 pm

Our office is considering upgrading to the new iMac 5K for our main editing system. We would be upgrading from a 2008 Mac Pro. My question is for anyone using a iMac as their main system. We are currently editing with the Adobe CC suite.

What do you recomend as far as system specs?

What additional hardware is a must has as far as a Blackmagic style of monitoring setup? (We currently use two dvi monitors, one bnc color monitor, one hdmi ref tv)

Is there anything else that is a must have for this system?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: New iMac 5K Editing System?
on Oct 20, 2014 at 10:44:27 am

A must have for NLEs like Adobe CC and FCPX is graphics grunt. I have migrated from Final Cut Suite to Adobe & Resolve. To get the best bang for grunt buck with a computer and graphics cards dripping with CUDA cores I built my own PC.

I don't think graphics hungry modern NLEs will perform as well on an iMac than a new Mac Pro or a PC work station and my personal preference was to go PC. Adobe is cross platform as is Resolve so unless you want to run FCP 7 or X you can look outside the Apple environment.

Strange post for a FCP7 forum.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: New iMac 5K Editing System?
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:39:07 pm

Any of the new 27inch imacs, couples with a RAID 5 external drive on thrunderbolt2, are going to give good performance for the money, IMO. I'm skeptical anybody "needs" a 5K screen, though.

Larry's review and suggestions are here:

http://www.larryjordan.biz/apple-releases-new-5k-imac/?utm_source=Larry%27s...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]