FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's the best way to make footage black and white? Thoughts on stylizing it?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
What's the best way to make footage black and white? Thoughts on stylizing it?
on Oct 18, 2014 at 10:20:55 pm

I have footage that's bland for my doc so I'm thinking of making it black and white to make it look a bit stylized. And not drab.

I know I can do that by desaturating it with the color corrector. Is that the best way to do it?

Any other thoughts/suggestions for turning my footage black and white and trying to make it more interesting? I know that's vague. But I'm open to any suggestion.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: What's the best way to make footage black and white? Thoughts on stylizing it?
on Oct 19, 2014 at 3:15:43 am

Other variables would include increasing the dynamic range in color correction. adding a filter to give it a sepia or other type of look and then applying only the amount that you like. There are also plug ins for black and white looks. You might want to play with subtle speed changes to emphasize a certain feel. You also don't need to completely desaturate the image but leave a hint of color that might prove interesting or color correcting to a certain hue like giving it a warm or cool look. The right music track can help dull images as well. Faster cuts can help. Maybe if you post an image people might make some interesting suggestions.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: What's the best way to make footage black and white? Thoughts on stylizing it?
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:42:25 pm

If you mean to make it have a "film noir look", or "chiaroscuro", plug-ins and color correction can only take you so far: that look is mostly based on the original scene lighting. you really need to have shot it that way in the first place.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:43:49 pm

I don't mean film noir. That would have been lovely though. I'm just thinking of anyway to make it interesting.

I'll post some stills this afternoon to show what I mean.

Thanks for the feedback!

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Oct 26, 2014 at 1:21:08 am

So here are four screen grabs for my project. Two in color and two totally desaturated with Color Correction 3-Way. You can see the subject has a dark beard.

The thinking for black and white is just that the actually image is so bland, and making it black and white is a way to try and make the interview more interesting. The film has lots of color photos and b-roll so it will contrast.

Any thoughts on how to stylize this?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 26, 2014 at 3:05:55 am

That's probably not going to help if the material isn't inherently interesting.

But once you make it B&W, you might add some step-frame to it and then drop a pen and ink or cartoon filter on it to give it the look of a drawn animation. That by itself isn't much, but now that your background is just white, you can manipulate his head shot into new framings and fly type quotes of what he's saying, or visuals.

If you're going to manipulate the shot, make it for a particular *reason*; use the visual to add a subtext or emotional layer to the words. Just dropping random weird plugs and filters on an interview doesn't make it more sexy, just annoying.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Oct 26, 2014 at 3:40:41 pm

Mark, thanks for the comment.

I think I wasn't entirely clear. The interview itself is great and I'm optimistic about the project. I just want a way to make the interview shots more interesting. That's why I'm going black and white. I don't want to make very stylized i.e. animation. I want to make it black and white. I just wonder if there are any other effects that might add subtle texture to a black and white shot. thoughts?

thanks for all the comments. This thread has been great.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 26, 2014 at 4:57:38 pm

In that case, try some of the look plug-ins from crumplepop, like platinotype.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Oct 26, 2014 at 5:31:32 pm

It seems like they dont have plainotype any more for FCP7. Am I wrong? I went to their website and didnt see it

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 26, 2014 at 5:34:55 pm

http://www.crumplepop.com/fcpx-plugin-platinotype/

on sale too

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Oct 26, 2014 at 5:37:30 pm

The problem is that's for FCPX. I'm running FCP7.

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Oct 27, 2014 at 3:34:08 am
Last Edited By Hope Holmesby on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:35:31 am

Hi...
have no idea what kind of thing you are going for....however
what about something like this, sort of going for the HDR look.....

image controls: levels, hsv adjust, saturate -
sharpen; unsharp mask - these are the ones i usually use

Used below: sharpen, levels (made it lighter)

used below: or sharpen , levels (lighter), saturate (more color)

i did this is photoshop, but in fcp, you could use the filters for levels saturate, unsharp mask as mentioned.

or even just apply the unsharp mask default settings gives an amazing kind of look. (it is 500 when u apply it)

or here is one i tried actually in fcp:

used these setting for example:

can fool w the
image control;saturation settings and get a nice sepia look, or natural look
or more sharpen; unsharp mask for more hdr look,

or move radius for unsharp mask,

image controls: levels, hsv adjust, saturate -
sharpen; unsharp mask - these are the ones i usually use

or tint, levels (lighter), unsharp mask together can give an interesting effect

Good luck there.

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB;
Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:08:59 am

"The problem is that's for FCPX. I'm running FCP7."

That's not a problem: it's a message. :-)

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Oct 27, 2014 at 6:13:53 pm

And, Mark, you know you're a filmmaker when you laugh out loud at that comment. Indeed, I'm starting to edit a feature length doc in January and will be changing to a different NLE platform. Just not sure what. A different discussion for a different thread...

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Oct 27, 2014 at 6:12:49 pm

Hope, this was insanely helpful. thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Oct 27, 2014 at 9:05:29 pm

Hi, Noam, glad it was useful... good luck on your doc

I have been helped so much by you all on this forum, glad i could contribute something (-:

Thanks for being one of the helpers for the forum.

however, now we see that you are moving to a new NLE.....?
good luck on that too.....

is it very interesting to me, too, to read what you, Mark and Craig said above.....

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB;
Mac OS 10.9,
16 GB RAM;
2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each;
After Effects CS5.5;
Sound Track Pro 3.0.1;
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3;
Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved