FORUMS: list search recent posts

Yosemite and FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Kurus
Yosemite and FCP 7
on Oct 17, 2014 at 2:13:24 am

I've seen another thread here that seems to indicate that as of early August Yosemite did not break FCP7.

I'm wondering if any of you good souls have made the move, and whether you can confirm that FCP7 still runs A-OK. Tonight Software Update popped up and suggested that I take the trip. I'm leery.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Yosemite and FCP 7
on Oct 17, 2014 at 1:25:12 pm

I would not dare it unless I had it on a separate partition with a separate install of 7. I'd also suggest cloning your entire boot disk to an external drive for safety before trying it, so you have an easier reversion path.

Return to posts index

Phil Kurus
on Oct 17, 2014 at 4:27:09 pm

Thanks, Mark. Yeah, I've a couple of clones going regularly in fact, so this wouldn't be an issue. I was just hoping that someone or preferably several someones had already taken the plunge and could report back from the bleeding edge.

I was perfectly content with Snow Leopard until hardware failure forced my hand into newer gear that wouldn't bloody run it. And each version of OSX since seems in various small ways to be stepping backward in user friendliness.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 4, 2014 at 6:33:09 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I would not dare it unless I had it on a separate partition with a separate install of 7. I'd also suggest cloning your entire boot disk to an external drive for safety before trying it, so you have an easier reversion path."

That's excellent advice Mark.

It always amazes me how many here dive right into updates without cloning their boot drive first - it's so simple to do, and the cloning apps are also free. Rather than worrying, asking for advice here, waiting, or diving-in, making a clone first simply takes all the danger out of the equation.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

eric ragan
on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:02:23 pm

I did a partition install of yosemite this morning. When I tried to access FCP 7 in the Mountain Lion partition, I got the message "check with developer to make sure FCP works with this version of OSX. I became worried. I did a fresh install on the yosemite partition and it installed and opens as normal, WHEW. Opened an old project and it seems to be fine. I haven't checked all my normal plugins yet, but to confirm, FCP 7 DOES WORK. You may need a fresh install, though.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 17, 2014 at 9:04:21 pm

Guys like you probably do other daredevil stuff like eating gas station sushi, hopping rides on boxcars, and
picking wild mushrooms without the guidebook:-) I'm too cautious for such things.

Return to posts index

Lydia Robertson
on Oct 18, 2014 at 4:29:58 pm

Hi Guys,
I just moved one of my less important iMac stations to Yosemite for testing. Not testing plugins yet but FCP7 is so far working normally. (so is FCPX)

Return to posts index

jason levy
on Oct 23, 2014 at 5:05:15 pm

We are having a problem with it... FCP is working mostly normally but when we open a file window... to do a "save as " for example or to reconnect offline media, the window closes very quickly by itself.. no time to complete the operation.

Return to posts index

Phil Kurus
on Oct 23, 2014 at 10:43:49 pm

Thanks.

I've decided to skip it for a couple of reasons, including reduced FPS in some sim apps and, frankly, the continued dumbing-down of the interface. Computers are not mobile devices and there is no reason that they should appear to be so.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]