FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching two cams

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Cummins
Matching two cams
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:00:54 pm

We recently shot a music video with two DSLRs. A Canon 5D Mark II and a Canon 70D. The problem is that the 70D footage looks a lot darker than the 5D. We were in a white room so it could have been worse. Anyone know a work around to brighten the 70D footage so it matches the 5D footage??

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Matching two cams
on Oct 15, 2014 at 5:39:49 pm

Color correction. A skilled colorist could match this in a few seconds...

This can be accomplished with the 3-Way color corrector...but COLOR would do a far better job. Typically you use COLOR when you are done editing.

If they are really that off...if the 70D was that dark...I fault the camera guy for not exposing properly. Make sure on the set that exposure is good.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dennis Cummins
on Oct 15, 2014 at 7:04:10 pm

Thanks Shane. Would you be able to point me towards any quick tutorials to achieve this in Color? Never used it before.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 15, 2014 at 7:19:25 pm

There really aren't any QUICK tutorials on this app. It's a fully featured, professional grade coloring app. Pretty complex. Walter Biscardi made a tutorial DVD on how to use it. But since Color has been discontinued, so has the disk. There might be training on Lynda.com.

Again, it's a finishing tool, meant for when you are done editing.

Resolve might be good for this...there's a free version of that, and also tutorials online. Or you can try to color match with the 3_way color corrector. There's tips on making the white and black levels match. You'll have to search for those...I don't know any tutorials off hand.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tom Mulligan
on Oct 16, 2014 at 1:30:09 am

First thing you'll want to do is learn how to read your scopes, they're your friends. You can find plenty of useful tutorials on line. Start with the waveform form monitor and exposure tab. Adjust the highlights of both cameras so they are the same. Whites should be at 100% or slightly below depending on preference. Blacks should be at zero or slightly above. Mid tones you want between 50 and 75%. This will get the exposure and contrast close, you may have to tweak a little.

Next step is color. Switch to vectorscope. Then use the crop tool to reduce your footage to a evenly exposed square on the white wall. Preferably the same spot on both cameras. Once cropped you'll see a dot on the vector scope. Move the color pucks until that dot is dead center. Press reset on the crop tool so your full frame comes back and the walls should be pure white. Next crop a piece of exposed skin on your talent. on your vectorscope you'll see a skin colored line, adjust the pucks so the skin line falls on the vector scope's skin tone line (that line on a 45 degree angle between 9 and 12 o'clock). Undo the crop and your camera's should match, you may have to play with saturation a little.

If you're not happy with the "look" , say you want to warm or cool the picture, lock down your edit first. Next drop an adjustment layer above all your clips, highlight the adjustment layer then use the layers color adjustment to make a universal change to the project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]