FORUMS: list search recent posts

Major issues after changing reel names with QTChange!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karel Voners
Major issues after changing reel names with QTChange!
on Oct 13, 2014 at 3:24:38 pm

I wanted to warn people not to use QTChange to change reelnames on media that is in use in FCP.

This is the original link to the post: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1184691

I thought all the issues I had were gone but they actually never left and it has been a nightmare ever since.

So what I did was add reel names to all media while FCP was closed using QTChange.

Upon re-opening the project I discovered the following:

* Some audio files were linked that where completely unrelated. On different tracks, on completely opposite sides of the timeline.
* Some stereo pairs were all of a sudden made up of different clip names that lived elsewhere on the timeline. The audio did not change, it was still correct, i.e. on a stereo pair the L channel's name was different then the R channel. . When I do show in finder it does show the correct file. When I go to frame it goes to the wrong clip.

*And then there is all kind of strangeness going on. When I delete a clip all of a sudden a video file appears on the audio track. When I use in and out point to delete things it deletes all audio on the tracks.

*If I overwrite disabled clips, the clips that overwrite take on the name of the ones that are being overwritten.

Whenever this strangeness starts to happen FCP becomes very unstable and crashes very frequently.

What I want to do is completely recreate the corrupted sequence. I want to force FCP to re-read all meta data from the clips. When you copy/paste stuff around this does not happen. When you export-import XML this also does not happen. The only thing I can think of was AFF with automatic duck.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated!
K.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Major issues after changing reel names with QTChange!
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:18:25 pm

You are supposed to use QT change BEFORE you really do any work at all in FCP. Changing the TC, reel numbers, AND THEN importing into FCP. It is NEVER advisable to change any clip metadata after editing has started, unless you do it INSIDE of FCP...using FCP tools to do it. You can change the reel numbers in FCP just as easily...if not moreso as no issues would crop up, as FCP is doing the changing.

Any time you have a clip in FCP, and change aspects of that footage outside of FCP...FCP will have huge issues relinking or dealing with it. Thus why you make the changes to the footage, THEN import it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Karel Voners
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:27:40 pm

Hi, Yes I somewhat anticipated the risks but I think I was misread, or I misunderstood the initial Q&A on this post https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1184691

It led me to believe there would be no issues.

K.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:57:43 pm

I guess we didn't say that this needs to be done before editing, before importing and cutting...but that is typically the case. And the person in that thread did say they had issues pop up...although they did say they "worked themselves out." That's odd and rare...issues don't usually just go away. Although someone did say that the Reel numbers did just appear.

Best practice, to ensure no issues, is if you modify anything outside of FCP, the footage needs to be reimported. Linking when you modify TC or reel numbers.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 14, 2014 at 8:27:51 pm

i haven't had major issues changing reel# after editing has commenced, other than some simple reconnect issues.
i havent used QT Change, i just do it in FCP.

your issues sound pretty extreme.
i assume you have trashed preferences, etc?

also you should contact Bouke, who makes QT Chang,
he wil probably offer to analyse your project file, or XMLs from it

nick

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Oct 18, 2014 at 11:00:30 am

Hi,
I use QT change constantly, especially with GoPro style footage. I have never had a problem, and often change the reel names while FCP is open, and FCP updates it once QT change is done.

I dont change clip names, but the reel names seem not to be a problem.

cheers
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]