FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems importing AVCHD footage from a Sony RX10 into FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Problems importing AVCHD footage from a Sony RX10 into FCP7
on Oct 12, 2014 at 10:00:18 pm

Hi all, I shot some HD footage with the Sony RX10. The camera is a little weird cause when you copy the card file onto a drive it make three layers of folders that aren't just folders--they all are rigged to start a quicktime software view. You _can_ look at them with "View Package" at the lowest level and see that there are actual .mts files there.

Now, I've copied them onto backup drives with no problem--the whole card as many recommend. Premiere Pro CC has no trouble bringing these into a project.

But my partner with FCP7 is having a weird hangup, and I do too when I try to use the FCP Log and Transfer with built-in AVCHD plug in. FCP accesses the card or the copied files on either her machine or mine, but Log and Transfer accesses only the first shot in the folder--all the others show as 00:00:00 duration. So they're not imported and not available in the FCP project.

What's the way out of ths impass? It doesn't seem to matter if we stick the card directly in the MBP or transfer the files to a HD.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Problems importing AVCHD footage from a Sony RX10 into FCP7
on Oct 13, 2014 at 3:17:08 pm

I'm afraid this is a case of "new camera, old discontinued software." Meaning that FCP 7 was discontinued over 3 years ago. No further updates are being made. FCX is what Apple is moving forward with. So when a new camera comes out, there's no support for it. Yes, it's AVCHD, but there is no standard with AVCHD...every camera maker does something different to make it unique to them. Makes it harder on NLE makers.

That is the issue. The camera is very new, and FCP 7 doesn't support it. So either they need to look at third party solutions to bring the footage in. ClipWrap2 by Divergentmedia.com is really good, and on the ball with updates. They also make EditReady...maybe that's the new name for it. Either way, there's free demos you can use to try it out.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Oct 13, 2014 at 7:58:08 pm

Thanks, Shane. It's interesting that AVCHD is a codec or package but not a standard. Will try the Clipwrap.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

chris king
on Oct 15, 2014 at 8:32:45 am

In fact, the non-linear video editing software Final Cut Pro cannot support AVCHD 1080p files perfectly, especially the ones which have been stored in your hard disk drive in MTS/M2TS format, it needs rendering with a long time. Sony has developed plug-ins to help users with some cams. AVCHD Plug-ins, but it’s a complex process. To find an easier way to sove this issue, you need to transcode Sony RX10 mts to ProRes with a third party software.

Return to posts index

Jane Kong
on Jan 22, 2015 at 2:16:58 am

How about the clipwap working? I don't want to spend $50 until I make sure it works well. But during the google searching , I found a free app which pretty much different. I found it in the apple store free mts converter, but there is no FCP output options....

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2015 at 2:18:14 am

Clipwrap has a free demo, so you can test and see.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jan 22, 2015 at 2:35:07 am

The Clipwrap worked fine for me on Mac OS 10.8.5 for the Sony XAVC format at 60p converting to ProRes.

And then a further adventure:
I got handed some Sony XAVC-S footage via the new firmware for the same camera and the Clipwrap didn't work for that.
divergent media recommended their EditReady 1.1.2 for the XAVC-S but it doesn't seem to work on the Mac OS 10.8.5--wants a higher OS. (Apparently a lot of people are having trouble with this new XAVC-S format.)
I ended up bringing the XAVC-S footage into either Premiere Pro or Adobe Media Encoder CC and exporting to ProRes.
Quite a workaround but the footage came into FCP7 just fine. Of course I just happen to have Premiere cause I'm transitioning to it. If you don't need to deal with XAVC-S you're lucky.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]