FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Performance with new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Gowan
FCP 7 Performance with new Mac Pro
on Oct 10, 2014 at 3:18:19 pm

Hi all.
I upgraded to new Mac Pro a couple months ago. Old machine was Mac Pro 1,1 quad 2Ghz core, 4Gb ram. New machine is Mac Pro 6,1 six 3.5Ghz core, 32Gb ram, FirePro D700 graphics.

I'm editing about half my projects in FCP X now, but still about half in FCP 7. Was surprised to find that my new Mac Pro is having a couple of performance issues with 7. Any suggestions on these?

1.) When motion in video is drastic (lots of camera movement or subject movement), the image gets funky and bends, similar to the rolling shutter effect from DSLR's. Only occurs inside of FCP 7 - same clips play normally in FCP X or even Quicktime. I could upload an example if no one knows what I'm talking about.

2.) I can't get a Digital Cinema Desktop Preview. Currently connected to 2 1080 Dell monitors via Mini-display adapters and 1 4k monitor via HDMI. Even with HDMI monitor turned off, the best that FCP 7 will give me is a still frame during playback.

Am I overlooking something? I know that FCP 7 is dying so support on newer hardware and OS's will be limited, but if these two things are fixable, I'd love to understand how. Anybody have ideas?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 Performance with new Mac Pro
on Oct 10, 2014 at 3:26:31 pm

[Neil Gowan] "Was surprised to find that my new Mac Pro is having a couple of performance issues with 7. Any suggestions on these?"

#1 - The latest OS (Mavericks) isn't designed with FCP 7 in mind. Doesn't take it into consideration at all. In fact, installing it takes hacks.

#2 - Quicktime is the core of FCP 7. Apple is phasing out Quicktime. The only one available on Mavericks is the half finished QTX. Apple is moving towards AV Foundation...that is the core of FCX

FCP 7 isn't dying...it's practically dead. Discontinued 3.5 years ago. It works fine on older Macs, under supported OS versions. But future support isn't built into current tech or OS.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Oct 10, 2014 at 3:30:17 pm

So you're saying, "no there isn't anything you can do about these specific issues," right?

By the way, I don't recall needing to perform and "hacks" to install FCP 7 on this machine...what are you referring to?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 10, 2014 at 3:52:23 pm

It installed fine on Mavericks on a new Tube Mac Pro? Interesting. People have reported issues installing FCP 7 on Mavericks as the installer, for some stupid reason, had code telling the computer to trigger the PowerPC emulation software...Rosetta...to install. Even thought it doesn't need it. A hack (a couple, actually) disable that part of the code. Interesting that you didn't need to do that...

And I'm not sure if there is anything to be done. You are running 5.5 year old discontinued software (old in software terms) on a new OS and new computer...a system not designed with that software in mind. As for the specific issues...experiences are different. Some report no issues, others report different issues. There is no solid answer.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Oct 10, 2014 at 4:04:03 pm

Ok....thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

Scott Ham
on Oct 16, 2014 at 8:54:20 pm

If you tried to install off of Studio 2 discs, it would give you the error. FCS3 discs install normally. Just did this yesterday on a new Mac Pro running 10.9.4.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 10, 2014 at 5:26:02 pm

I'm running Yosemite Beta and FCP7 running fine. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 11, 2014 at 12:44:35 am

both of the OPs issues are monitoring issues,
so it might be something to do with the Graphics Cards.

but i wouldn't really have a clue!

nick

Return to posts index

George Strother
on Oct 11, 2014 at 7:12:53 pm
Last Edited By George Strother on Oct 16, 2014 at 10:12:26 pm

FCP 7/ FCS 3 working here, with Kona LHi

MacPro 4.1, 10.10 Public Beta 5 & 10.9.5

George
Light Images

Return to posts index