FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 and Compressor output errors - DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Miller
FCP7 and Compressor output errors - DVD
on Oct 7, 2014 at 4:24:48 pm

Hey there, first time posting but I've been lurking for a while now. Great community.

I'm not super technically savvy but I'll try my best to get across my issue -

I'm trying to turn footage shot at 1080p, 24fps into a finished video file that is compatible with the bitrates and size supported by a single layer DVD.

I've gone through too many settings now, but the only one that came out with a good picture and sound is the YouTube sharing preset, which has an 8mbps bitrate, at 720p. This video however has heavy artifacting and pixelation at some of the transition points, and toward the end of the 31 minute video, some of the clips seem to be set on a one second repeat or something. It moves on, but not after a good 5-10 seconds of this error.

The other presets I've used are DVD-Best 90 minutes, uncompressed h.264, tried the HD-DVD setting for a second when I had no idea what I was doing, and nothing comes out looking alright or without errors.

I've enabled quick clustering, and have been using this with an exported QuickTime movie in compressor.

I'm sorry if I'm not doing a good job explaining, but to recap: when I output my files, they are either cut off in length, have no audio, look very bad, or some of the transitions are super jolty and pixelated... Along with that weird clip repeat thing...

Please let me know if there's anything any of you can think of, I'll post any settings I need to. This video has a deadline of around Friday, so I need to figure out the problems really soon.

Thanks everyone!!' I hope I made some sort of sense...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 and Compressor output errors - DVD
on Oct 7, 2014 at 6:30:28 pm

So what are you trying to do exactly? End up with a DVD? or a YouTube video?

DVDs are standard definition...720x480. Your 1080 HD video will be reduced to an SD DVD, just so you know. For this you use the Best Quality DVD settings that are closest to your total running time. And then you use DVD SP to author the DVD.

if you want a high def DVD...one that will play on BLURAY players, then you'll need to get software that allows you to compress and author to BluRay. HD DVD is the format that lost to BluRay, so it's no longer around. And I know you can author an AVCHD disk that will play on BluRay players, but you are limited to 40 min...and I don't know how to do that. You'll have to google that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rob Miller
on Oct 7, 2014 at 7:44:27 pm

Hey Shane,

I am creating a DVD project that will be sent to a DVD duplication service. I figured that the DVD authoring wouldn't downscale the footage, so trying the higher-quality files was stupid.

I followed the steps you provided, and I was presented with the same results I received last time.

I exported a Quicktime file from FCP7, then used Compressor with the DVD Best 90min preset to transcode the QT file. I am left with footage that is good, however there are still the frame freezing and artifacting with transitions... Do I have to troubleshoot in my original FCP7 project or what?

I am Rob.

Panasonic Lumix GH3
Panasonic 12-35mm X Vario
Glidecam HD-1000
Manfrotto 502
Kessler Pocket Jib Traveler

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 7, 2014 at 7:51:57 pm

What is the codec of the source footage? Did you convert to ProRes before editing? Are your sequence settings ProRes?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rob Miller
on Oct 7, 2014 at 7:57:08 pm

Oh damn... I did not convert to ProRes before I started the 30+ hours of editing...

Everything was in H.264. I also lost some of my source footage, but final cut pro is still playing the files... Probably because they were rendered with a color corrector?

Am I screwed? :-/

I am Rob.

Panasonic Lumix GH3
Glidecam HD-1000
Manfrotto 502

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 7, 2014 at 8:08:28 pm

Well, That's why you are having all those exporting issues. A quick solution is to change the sequence compressor (In the SEQUENCE>SETTINGS) to ProRes. BUT...you said you are missing footage, and what is playing back is render files. So if you do that, you'll lose those render files. Might have to find those files on the Finder level, COPY THEM...move them to another location. put them into the cut...and then change the compressor to ProRes and rerender.

That's the quick solution....isn't 100%, but can work.

Always convert to ProREs before editing with FCP 7. Always.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rob Miller
on Oct 7, 2014 at 8:21:19 pm

Awesome. Thank you so much, I appreciate it! I hope this'll work a bit better :-)

The files in question are actually gone gone. The first part of the movie that is a .mov is smooth and doesn't have any of the problems like the rest of the footage.. Do you think (this is such a work around...) if I took the clip from that part of the movie, and convert it and put it in my new ProRes sequence?

I am Rob.

Panasonic Lumix GH3
Glidecam HD-1000
Manfrotto 502

Return to posts index

Rob Miller
on Oct 7, 2014 at 8:24:50 pm

Also, would FCP7 convert the files in my sequence to ProRes as well?

And, sorry for the stupid questions, but would ProRes422 standard be good enough for the DVD?

Thanks, I really appreciate the help, you're making everything so much easier :-)

I am Rob.

Panasonic Lumix GH3
Glidecam HD-1000
Manfrotto 502

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 7, 2014 at 11:40:40 pm

[Rob Miller] "Also, would FCP7 convert the files in my sequence to ProRes as well?"

Nope. Those remain H.264. It creates render files as ProRes. And since everything would need to be rendered if you change the sequence compressor, then all the renders are ProRes.

[Rob Miller] "And, sorry for the stupid questions, but would ProRes422 standard be good enough for the DVD?"

ProRes 422 is good enough for broacast television. Yes, it's good enough for DVD. The DVD will actually be low quality compared to what you have. DVDs are SD, and this is an HD project.

[Rob Miller] "The files in question are actually gone gone."

Then all you have is those render files. So I'd duplicate them on the finder level, and over cut them into the sequence. They are all you have left. Treat them with care.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rob Miller
on Oct 9, 2014 at 7:40:55 am

Hey again,

So after FCP7 quit after 8 hours of using 15% maximum of my CPU to render the files as ProRes... Now I have some of the files rendered, at 720p (the footage was shot in 1080p), and all my clips are heavily cropped down.

How would i fix this? I thought I set everything to just downscale the footage... Was that a bad idea?

Thanks,

Rob

P.s. Shane, you are wonderful and awesome. Thank you for helping a stupid beginner save a project that was almost doomed from the start :-/

I am Rob.

Panasonic Lumix GH3
Glidecam HD-1000
Manfrotto 502

Return to posts index

Rob Miller
on Oct 7, 2014 at 7:59:29 pm

And my sequence settings are the same.

I am Rob.