FORUMS: list search recent posts

File error: access denied

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Goldsmith
File error: access denied
on Oct 3, 2014 at 8:56:26 pm

I've just started editing long-distance. My new editor and I both have FCP7. I put all my media on an OWC Guardian Maximus drive identical to the one I have at home, with the identical directory architecture. Then I put my FCP project on her drive, linked to the media on her drive. It basically opened OK, though the renders got lost (typical in my FCP experience, even tho the renders were on her drive). Here is the problem:

Many of of my sequences played fine, but some didn't. Those that didn't gave her a message: "File error: access denied" and then, "error: out of memory." On one such sequence, I then cut it into 3 sections and sent those 3 sequences to her in a mini-project (for her to reassemble) and two of those played, but one still did not, giving instead those same error messages. What might be the problem? And how to fix?

Other info that may be helpful: I am on OS 10.7.5; she is on OS 10.8.x (I think 10.8.5) She has 6Gb of memory. All media and renders are being put on the OWC drive, not her hard drive. She has re-started her computer (presumably wiping the memory clean) after the error messages and that made no difference.

Thanks-- Rick G in Berkeley

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: File error: access denied
on Oct 5, 2014 at 9:41:15 pm

the drives should have the exact same names to avoid any reconnecting

also, are the drives formatted for Mac?

nick

Return to posts index

Rick Goldsmith
on Oct 5, 2014 at 10:17:32 pm

In answer to your question, Nick, the drives do not have the same names-- we discussed this, and have good reasons why we gave them different names. HOWEVER, all the media on the second drive were "reconnected" to that drive (which has the identical directory structure as my drive) before it was sent. "Reconnect media" is not the issue here.

And yes, both drives are formatted for Mac OS X (requiring 10.4 and later).

Almost all the sequences (and all individual clips) were read fine by the second system. With a notable exception of this one sequence, which has a series of clips with speed changes under the "motion" tab. I would expect FCP to read these clips fine and, worst case scenario (I would think) require the re-rendering of all the altered-speed clips. My hunch is that this is what has caused the error messages. But I don't know for sure, don't know why, and don't know how to fix.

How do I get past these error messages so my long-dist. editor can get to work without delay? If she could only read that sequence (and perhaps others, we haven't checked them all), she could replace clips that seem snarky or don't read. But she can't.

Thanks in advance for your additional help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 6, 2014 at 5:07:37 pm

6 gigs on a Mac is NOT a standard memory configuration: it reveals that the memory sticks in the machine don't match in size, which can be problematic. I'd look at that right away.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]