FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tight Audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe zabrosky
Tight Audio
on Oct 2, 2014 at 4:12:44 am

Hi,

Have a movie of which someone from TBN watched and said the audio was understandable but it wasn't TIGHT.

We recorded the audio chiefly with a boom mic following actors and an ambient mic at a central point in each scene not on the actors so that we could have a realistic sound. Majority of scenes were interiors. When i told the guy from TBN this he said that could be the problem in that the ambient mic was causing a bit of an echo lending to it not having a tight overall sound on the dialogue. He suggested getting rid of the ambient channel.

My question? What would be my best bet to create as tight a sound as possible to put on that second channel once i take the ambient recording out?

Thanks for your help! joe

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Tight Audio
on Oct 2, 2014 at 2:10:14 pm

"Tight" , as your associate calls it, is a very subjective term. There's no meter or scale for it. But if you want to increase the clarity of the audio, you might play with compression of frequencies in the range of human hearing. That "full" sounding DJ voice on the radio comes out of a box, a box with gates and compressors that emphasize certain frequencies. You have access to those same effects in post. Experiment with that, and with parametric EQ to drop out some of the ambience/room tone.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 2, 2014 at 5:29:47 pm

If you're worried, you can do this:
In FCP, kill the ambient audio in a scene completely. Just turn that track off so all you have is audio from the boom. Export the scene's audio as an aiff or wav and have him give a listen. Then ask him if it sounds tighter... and I agree, that's a HIGHLY subjective term.

It may also just be a case where you need to drop the level on the ambient mic audio in FCP.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

joe zabrosky
on Oct 2, 2014 at 6:55:14 pm

Thanks for both of your responses. So, if it sounds more clearly with the ambient track OFF are you suggesting to use only one track for dialogue or would it be wise to fill that vacant track with something that would bring more clarity and dynamic to the mix? Thanks, joe

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 2, 2014 at 10:27:45 pm

I suggest not killing it, but lowering the ambience. Although really, the dialog that took place in that location should have enough ambience. I've never heard of laying down separate ambience or "room tone" in a scene where the dialog is continuous. I've used that to fill gaps or cover other sounds that happen on set.

But then again, I also don't do my own final audio mix...I have professionals do it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 2, 2014 at 11:24:05 pm

I'm with Shane on this: I don't think you gain a lot by adding extra ambience. I find that it can detract from the dialogue.

But it's your edit, and if you think it sounds better with it then who am I to judge?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

joe zabrosky
on Oct 8, 2014 at 3:05:30 pm

I think your both right on that. The audio guy suggested it, but it lends to sound not being tight so i'm bringing the ambient down, panning it to center, panning boom mic to center and bringing volume up. It makes a big difference. Thanks

joseph zabrosky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]