FORUMS: list search recent posts

Progressive and Upper Field Export weirdness

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Attieh
Progressive and Upper Field Export weirdness
on Oct 2, 2014 at 2:57:43 am

I am exporting a screener DVD of a tv show for a broadcaster and noticed that when I encode the DVD file, I get a weird banding (some call it coning on hard edges) in moving images.

The program was shot interlaced (25fps PAL, 1920x1080i on Sony EX1 camera and 2 x Sony HandiCams).

We edited on a ProRes Interlace timeline. The clips are UPPER FIRST.

When the show went to be graded, FCP project came back PROGRESSIVE. No issues (normally).

I exported a preview for internal purposes and then made a DVD. After watching the DVD, I duplicated the timeline and made a few tweaks. I exported again and make another DVD. This time, I had some serious banding issues. Ridged edges whenever there was movement on the screen.

I called just about every editor I know, and could not work it out. After about 3 hours, I noticed that FCP exported the first clip as UPPER FIRST, despite being set to NONE. (note. majority of the clips are upper). Encoder produced the MP2 file and the DVD was great.

I then noticed that the 2nd export exported at PROGRESSIVE (as FCP was set), but encoder had some serious banding issues to deal with.

FCP is exporting the clip setting seemingly at random. Does anyone know:
i) why this happens and
ii) how to force it to export UPPER FIRST for our DVDs. (it seems to have it's own brain at the moment)

Also, this is the first time I am having these issues with Progressive clips. Has anyone had this issue before, and how did you get around it?

Thanks so much,

Richard.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Progressive and Upper Field Export weirdness
on Oct 2, 2014 at 5:22:04 pm

It sounds like somebody screwed up when exporting after the color grade. The file was interlaced, but exported as progressive. Was it properly deinterlaced prior to that export?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Attieh
Re: Progressive and Upper Field Export weirdness
on Oct 2, 2014 at 10:44:11 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the files exported incorrectly.

Weird thing is that the FCP exported in UPPER on its own the first time, and then Progressive (as it should have) the second time.

Fun and games.

Richard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]