FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this a good idea: making low rez versions of photos in the timeline while editing and reconnecting to larger ones when exporting?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Is this a good idea: making low rez versions of photos in the timeline while editing and reconnecting to larger ones when exporting?
on Sep 30, 2014 at 9:46:01 pm

I'm making a film with a lot of photos. I scanned the photos at really high resolutions, as PNG's and TIFF's, because I dont know when I'll want a close up. That said, I'm not sure which photos I'll use.

I'm thinking that, while editing, I'll make low-rez versions of my photos, edit with them, and then right before exporting, reconnect them to larger, higher quality versions.

Does that make sense? Is that a good idea?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Is this a good idea: making low rez versions of photos in the timeline while editing and reconnecting to larger ones when exporting?
on Sep 30, 2014 at 9:57:31 pm

Bad idea. Photos take up FAR LESS room than video files. I mean, a large picture is like 24MB...maybe up to 50MB, or 80MB. That's NOTHING. And if you use lower res photos, you might end up needing to redo all the moves because the dimensions are different. You'll be creating more needless work.

BUT...know that FCP cannot work with images over 4000 pixels on any side. So all photos over that size will need to have copies saved that are 3800px or so...no bigger. And all must be RGB, not CMYK.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
Re: Is this a good idea: making low rez versions of photos in the timeline while editing and reconnecting to larger ones when exporting?
on Sep 30, 2014 at 9:59:32 pm

It's not about saving space. It's the favt that large photo files can make FCP act real wonky. With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out a way to edit with lower rez versions than I might use so I dont have memory or speed issues. Can I do that? It seems like you think that's a bad idea all way round.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 30, 2014 at 10:08:50 pm

As long as the photos are under 4000 pixels, you should be fine. FCP cannot handle anything above 4000...period. So the large format files...you need to make new masters to use that fit within the limits of FCP...and never go back to the large files.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Sep 30, 2014 at 10:09:43 pm

4000x4000?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 30, 2014 at 11:14:52 pm

I'd go less. 3800. And photos are rarely square. So the longest side should top out at 3800

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Oct 9, 2014 at 11:20:01 pm

Also, if you choose to do low res for the rough cut, the problem you will come up with if you've done any moves or resizing, is you will have to do each one again, manually. Fallen into that trap before!! If you've got a lot of photos, that will time-consuming

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]