FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logged and Transferred footage not PC friendly

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Broils
Logged and Transferred footage not PC friendly
on Sep 29, 2014 at 7:14:12 pm

Hi, I posted this on the SkatePerception forums but I doubt they'll know what is going on. Ill copy and paste it here:

Hey, I recently had to uninstall and reinstall FCP on my mac, and something got mixed up in the process. Before, when I logged and transferred my P2 footage, the file would go to my capture scratch and when I open it, it converts to (i guess) a different form of .mov, and then it would play. Then i take that to my PC where I edit it in Sony Vegas.

However, now that I reinstalled FCP, when I log and transfer, everything looks good on my mac but i only get audio on my PC.

Could I have messed up some preferences when I un-reinstalled it?

update: On my PC, when the clips are imported into After Effects, there is both video and audio but the video is almost square.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Logged and Transferred footage not PC friendly
on Sep 29, 2014 at 7:32:48 pm

If the P2 footage is DVCPRO HD...then FCP re-wraps it into a MOV (Quicktime) wrapper...and unfortunately only computers with FCP can read those files. DVCPRO HD and HDV Quicktime files created by FCP are only usable by FCP. If the footage was AVCIntra P2, and you converted it to ProRes, the PC should read it just fine. But DVCPRO HD...yeah...no go.

You can use Compressor to convert that footage to ProRes, and then get it to the PC. That'll work. Or, get the EditReady app from divergentmedia.com and use that to directly convert the DVCPRO HD P2 media to PrORes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bobby Broils
on Sep 30, 2014 at 3:53:23 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Any idea how I was able to do this before?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 30, 2014 at 4:43:18 pm

If the P2 format was AVCINTRA...that comes in as ProRes. But DVCPRO HD...that doesn't work on machines without FCP...never has.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bobby Broils
on Sep 30, 2014 at 4:56:18 pm

I also determined that when I put the newly transferred footage onto my FCP timeline and render it out as Apple Pro Res 422, my quicktime player is unable to read it. Maybe I have a bad version of FCP?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 30, 2014 at 6:08:46 pm

What are the dimensions? QT player is unable to read it?

Trash your FCP prefs. Preference Manager from digitalrebellion.com will do it for you, for free. Most trusted FCP tool out there..>Apple used it.

Then try

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bobby Broils
on Sep 30, 2014 at 9:04:17 pm

I trashed my preferences. Odd, when I try and export a project as 1920x1080, it'll still create a 1440x1080 file that I still can't open.

Return to posts index

Bobby Broils
on Sep 30, 2014 at 9:23:31 pm

Actually, scratch my last post. I was trying to export in Apple Prores 422 but quicktime couldn't read that. I exported one in DCVPRO and it could read it, and I had to convert it again after opening it. A temporary fix to my problem.

However, my logged and transferred footage is still unable to be seen by my PC. I have noted that they are being transferred in 1280x1080, an odd resolution to me.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 30, 2014 at 9:33:59 pm

DVCPRO HD at 1080 is anamorphic...even more so than normal. Normal anamorphic is 1440x1080...HDV is this. DVCPRO HD is even more so...1280x1080. FCP knows the flags and stretches it out to 1920x1080 when viewing.

Now, the things you are doing are not working out. So do either:

1) Make a ProRes 422, 1920x1080 sequence, drop in the DVCPRO HD footage...render, then export.

2) Use compressor and one of the ProREs 422 presets, and make sure in the Geometry tab the export will be 1920x1080. This option is faster, and easier.

The reason QT isn't viewing it properly is that ProRes is a full raster format...anamorphic conversions confuse it.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bobby Broils
on Oct 2, 2014 at 4:15:25 am

Thanks for the replies!

I have further discovered that footage I have transferred in the past and played fine is no longer able to be read by Quicktime player. Any clue what could have caused this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 2, 2014 at 4:10:17 pm

What OS are you running? Are you trying to play this back on QTX? Or QT7?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bobby Broils
on Oct 2, 2014 at 8:16:49 pm

I am running OS X Mavericks 10.9.3. I don't exactly know where to find what quicktime player I have. How do I check this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 3, 2014 at 3:19:21 pm

Apple halted development on Quicktime X before it was done...and are moving away from QT as a base, and going to AV Foundation. Mavericks only has QTX...QT7 was installed on older OS versions, and tucked away in the UTILITIES folder..and had way more functionality. Perhaps this footage not playing is due to QTX not being fully featured.

I don't know...this is just a guess.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]