FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Transition Length Acting Freaky!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Taylor
Video Transition Length Acting Freaky!!
on Sep 25, 2014 at 6:14:05 pm

I have FCP 6, and occasionally, I can click/drag a transition to the timeline; other times, I cannot. I then select the transition I want, right click to make it the default, then right click on the timeline and choose "Add Transition", and that will work.

Also, when I change the length of the transition in the "length" column in the Browser, from 00.00.01.00 to 00.00.02.00, save as "default", it then defaults to 00.00.00.01 when placed on the timeline!!!

Is anyone else having these issues? Any suggested fixes?? Thanks for any assistance!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Video Transition Length Acting Freaky!!
on Sep 26, 2014 at 1:07:21 am

It's probably time to trash your FCP Preferences.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Taylor
on Sep 26, 2014 at 3:24:13 am

Thanks, Dave, for the quick reply. Unfortunately, that didn't resolve the issue. I can now drag the transition to the timeline, dropping it between two still images (each 7 seconds long). Even though I've changed the length to two seconds, the transition reverts to 0.01 in length in the timeline, even though in the browser, the default does indicate the length to be one second (01.00).
????????

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 26, 2014 at 2:02:42 pm

Do your shots on either side of the transition have long enough "handles" for the transition length you want?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 26, 2014 at 3:57:20 pm

Did you trim the clips' in & out points so you have enough to actually do the trasition? That applies for both video AND stills. Try it and see what happens.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Taylor
on Sep 26, 2014 at 9:45:24 pm

When I play the stills in the viewer, from the in to out points, it reflects the still clip is 7:22 long. When I drag two of these clips to the timeline and place them together, they are 15:15 long. Shouldn't that be sufficient to place a two second transition between them?

I can separate the two stills, and place a transition on either end of them, individually, as well as the ability to adjust their length; however, when I place them together on the timeline and drag any transition between them, the transition becomes 00:00:01 in length and cannot be adjusted???

What am I missing here??

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 27, 2014 at 1:38:16 am

You're missing the "handles".

The transition needs enough frames of overlap between the in and out points. If you have two, two-second clips, and you want a one second dissolve or wipe, you need the raw versions of the clips to have enough "extra" frames at the beginning or end to cover that 30-frame overlap for the 30-frame duration of the transition. If you didn't retain enough original footage to leave "handles" on the clips, you're out of luck, and the best you can do is freeze the last frame of the outgoing clip to cover the transition duration into the new clip. or find the original camera masters and re-ingest a longer version of the clip.

When ingesting files or digitizing tape, always, ALWAYS, leave one or two seconds of extra footage on the front and back of the clips, for this purpose.

Return to posts index

Mark Taylor
on Sep 27, 2014 at 5:25:59 am

I apparently don't understand the term "handles", Mark? The "clip" is a still photo, placed on the timeline with seven seconds in length. I thought a two second transition on either end of the clip would leave three seconds for the image to appear? Is that not the case?

Thanks for helping with this, Mark. I'll follow your instructions, but I'm not quite understanding where I'm going wrong.

Return to posts index

Mark Taylor
on Sep 27, 2014 at 10:11:13 pm

I finally figured out "handles" - had a difficult time coming to grips with "less was more" concept with the in/out. Thanks to everyone for the inpput!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]