FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any way to salvage FCP 7 project using MPEG-2?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Frassinelli
Any way to salvage FCP 7 project using MPEG-2?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 10:30:26 pm

I have been using Final Cut Pro 7 for projects for quite a few years now, and, even after using it for this long I was not aware that it couldn't handle MPEG-2 files and derivatives (I guess it just never came up...). Recently I started working on a project and foolishly transported it by converting the clips into .m2v files through Compressor. Now I can open the project, fully edited, for about a second before it crashes. I ran it through Pro Maintenance and it said that the crashes were due to the aforementioned .m2v files.

I guess my question is: Is there any way to salvage my project? The only thing I can think of at this point is to use MPEG Streamclip to convert all of the .m2v files and then start again from scratch. I would really like to not have to do that.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Any way to salvage FCP 7 project using MPEG-2?
on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:22:09 pm

Well, you can convert the files and then try to relink to the converted ones. But unless the timecode is exactly the same, that'll be spotty. But it's worth a shot.

FCP only works with MOV files...and only those with a codec you see listed in the EASY SETUPS. You need to convert the files to ProRes 422, or ProRes LT.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]