FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 workflow
on Sep 22, 2014 at 1:46:00 am

I have no clear idea where to post this, so apologies if you see in in a few groups.

I'm trying out a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 , which has a great compact form factor, Zeiss 25-200 lens, good controllable audio levels recording with the Rode VideoMic pro, but I'm challenged trying to figure out a work flow for the files.

I can work in Premiere CC or FCP7 on a Mac.

The camera gives various recording options, including to record in 60p AVCHD or MP4. (There's a firmware update that will enable 30p.)

I selected 60p and shot a couple of hours.

Used Sony's "PlayMemories Home" software to transfer to a hard drive.

The software transferred duplicate copies of each clip, one a 59.95 fps in .mst wrapper and one at 29.97 in .mp4 wrapper.

In premiere CC, for example, both versions of each clip import into a project.

Interesting questions:

1. Why would the camera record duplicate clips in two formats when I selected one? (Actually I think "PlayMemories Home" is doing the duplication.)

2. When I put the card in my Macbook Pro card slot I can transfer the folder directly, much faster, skipping the "PlayMemories Home" process. The MP4 duplicates of the AVCHD clips don't appear.

3. No problems importing into Premiere CC. Will there be issues and are there tricks to import into FCP7?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 workflow
on Sep 22, 2014 at 4:01:22 am

I gotta be honest on this--as much as I dislike Adobe's new financial model, Premiere is a much better choice for that kind of footage. It can work with it natively.

If you're not familiar eith the Adobe model, it goes like this: once you bite on renting Premiere, you're stuck renting Premiere basically forever. Stop and you lose access to your project files after three months.

If that's an attractive prospect to you, go for Premiere.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 22, 2014 at 1:33:53 pm

Or you could buy FCPX, and use it just as a transcoding application... then eventually, you might get around to trying to edit with it... it really isn't too bad. It too can handle the files natively from your Sony, or, it can transcode them in the background, while you work. And for now at least, it doesn't lock you into monthly payments.

As to why the Sony generates two sets of files, it probably does that to make it easier to share the video to Sony gear, for those more casual consumer users.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Sep 22, 2014 at 6:58:54 pm

Thanks everybody. Importing directly from the card to a Mac drive worked fine, much faster than the Sony software, and PP handles the footage easily. I shot this for a friend who works with FCP7, so more will be revealed. There is a firmware update (new codec XAVC-S), which also enables 30p and 120p. Have heard about difficulties importing it.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]