FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion 5 appears to have wrecked FCP7 on my Mac

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam taylor
Motion 5 appears to have wrecked FCP7 on my Mac
on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:06:49 pm

I'm not sure if this is just a warning or cry for help...

Due to a mac death, i have had to reinstall a brand new edit suite.
So i opted for the 12core Mac Pro with 64gb ram running 10.9.4 along with a Blackmagic UltraStudio4k. My raid is now connected through a Sonnet expansion chassis converting the fibre channel into thunderbolt.

I also have had to use FCP7 for a lot of current edits that need finishing (and its my busy time as i work on commercials). I know its risky trying to run FCP 7 on such a new Mac, but its been working fine for a week now...the only thing that has changed since yesterday is that today, i needed to alter an old graphic originally created in Motion 4.

When i clicked the file to open it, it went straight to Motion 5 instead of 4 and thats when all the problems started. The file was altered (just changing a date on a line of text, then saving out as a motion file)

When i tried to bring the motion file into FCP7, the alpha channel did not work - i just saw white text on black, then when i tried to render the effect the video clip on the layer below somehow got corrupted.

I then tried to export the clip as Prores4444 out of Motion 5, but i kept getting the same problem in FCP7. When playing the video It was flickering wildly and flashing green.

I checked the prores4444 file in AE and there is nothing wrong with the video and alpha.

Then i noticed that other overlayed captions (which originally had been made using LiveType) were also failing and flickering madly. Much of the underlying video was behaving very strangely - freezing and not playing.

So - should i uninstall all the apple video apps, and try re-install and just run the older ones until i can get these projects finished? or am i just up the creek!!!

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Motion 5 appears to have wrecked FCP7 on my Mac
on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:21:32 pm

If you open Motion 4, and THEN open the Motion file in question, will it not be in Motion 4?

If not, someone has to have a heart-to-heart with Apple, I'd say.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Sep 18, 2014 at 6:27:08 pm

if i'd thought of it first it might have been ok.

I never use Motion anyway, these are old graphics i made years ago. Whilst i did download all the latest Apples apps two weeks ago when the new Mac went in, I have never opened Motion 5 so was surprised when the Motion 4 file opened 5.

Whatever the cause its worth being aware of how flaky things can get if youre not totally on the ball.

I dont think Apple give a hoot anymore!

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 18, 2014 at 9:33:14 pm

I don't think it's just Apple, either. There are quite a few people saying less-than-charitable things about Adobe as well.

The era of the Fair Deal between software vendors and users seems to be going the way of the Dodo or the Passenger Pigeon.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]