FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sheer Panic Not Far Off: Final Cut Express HD_File not opening

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thea Stallwood
Sheer Panic Not Far Off: Final Cut Express HD_File not opening
on Sep 18, 2014 at 11:24:43 am

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Creative Cow, so apologies if I'm breaking any Cow Etiquette here.

My initial problem was this;

I have been trying to export a 75 minute film from Final Cut Express HD without any success.
I went to try some of the ideas I picked up from CreativeCow forums about bad render files, only to find I now have a much bigger problem on my hands.

I last viewed the film file in Final Cut Express two days ago when I watched the entire film through. I saved it as normal and closed everything down.

Today I have opened up Final Cut Express, tried to open the film file from the external hard drive and this message comes up;

File I/O Error

I went to copy all the working files over to another external hard drive, as back up, before I try changing anything. When I went to do that, this message came up;

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in [name of file] could not be read or written. Error code - 36

In Final Cut I can still open up other working files and watch them through, so it appears to be a problem with this file rather than the software.

Feeling extremely nervous right now. Any help would be hugely appreciated.
Thank you
Thea

Specs;
Macbook Pro
Mac OSX
Version 10.5.8
Processor 2.4GHz
Memory 2GB
Main External hard Drive - 64GB available, firewire connection
Secondary External Hard Drive - 1.4TB available, USB connection
Footage imported from Canon EOS 550D
Final Cut Express HD version 3.5.1

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Sheer Panic Not Far Off: Final Cut Express HD_File not opening
on Sep 18, 2014 at 4:55:17 pm

Did you try disk Utility repair/verify?

Try this

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sheer Panic Not Far Off: Final Cut Express HD_File not opening
on Sep 19, 2014 at 4:18:20 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Sep 19, 2014 at 4:20:10 pm

Warning -- you DO NOT have a lot of external storage!!! Get more!!!
Since you only say "64 GB available" we don't know if that's 64GB out of 4 TB or 64 GB out of 500 GB. One indicates that your storage is almost full (and could be the root of your problems), and the other indicates that you have a pitifully small amount of storage for your aspirations.

And while you're at it, get more RAM. 2GB is a miserably small amount. FCP itself can use 4 GB... and you'd probably want other applications open, I bet. They need RAM, too. Laptops are cool, but they can't work miracles, especially if you short-change them on hardware.

And if you intend to show your work to people other than family members, please consider abandoning FCE in favor of FCP. In the long run, you will be far more satisfied.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]