Movie turns dark after being exported.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Petter King
Movie turns dark after being exported.
on Sep 17, 2014 at 2:18:09 pm
Last Edited By Petter King on Sep 18, 2014 at 5:25:48 am

Dear Friends,

Would any of you know how to fix this problem: After outputting our FCP7-edited video files to Quicktime movie using either FCP7's 'Export to Quicktime Movie' command or Apple's 'Compressor', the video file looks terrible dark when played in MPEG-Streamclip (and apparently some other Players). All the shadow detail seems lost. However, the exact same .mov file plays back fine in Quicktime Player.
Some background: Original footage shot on 5Dmark II, h.264; shot very low contrast and then color-graded in Apple's 'Color' software; re-imported to FCP7 where brightness, contrast incl. shadow detail still looks good and as intended. However, after exporting the video to .mov coded h.264 using either FCP's 'Export to Quicktime Movie' application or Apple's 'Compressor' using different settings for making the .mov (incl. settings for youtube sharing) all lead to the same problem. We've tried everything, just can't figure this out…

All the best,

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Movie turns dark after being expoted.
on Sep 17, 2014 at 4:35:24 pm

You can't control how other players play back the footage. If it looks good in FCP, and in QT...not sure what you can do. I can't control how my projects look on your TV, nor my grandmothers TV. I can just make it look the best that I can...on my professional equipment.

MPEG STREAMCLIP, by the way, isn't a video player...it's a converter. VLC is a video player.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 17, 2014 at 6:36:10 pm

Are you really sure that your monitors are all calibrated to bars and show a true representation? If so, then the rest is on the user.

Return to posts index

Petter King
on Sep 18, 2014 at 5:32:56 am

Hi Shane,

thank you for your help! FYI here's a screenshot how the file looks on different softwares, all taken on my monitor.
I'm aware of course that I con't control other people's monitors, however I thought I might have some settings wrong as the same file looks so different on just my monitor.
This came up after I had emailed a .mov file to a customer, and they kept complaining that it's too dark... hence I'm wondering if there's a way to ensure that VLC will play the file with same contrast as QT (as you can see, VLC appears to darken shadows slightly; in MPEG, details is nearly completely lost).

@ Mark - our monitor is calibrated using a 'spyder'; however we're comparing files on the same monitor as well, not just to other monitors.

Cheers,
P.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 18, 2014 at 4:59:07 pm

Sorry, I don't see the screen shots.

Again, MPEG STREAMCLIP isn't a player...it's conversion software. It's not designed to be accurate in viewing.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jack Douglas
Re: Movie turns dark after being exported.
on Sep 18, 2014 at 9:32:40 am

This is a common problem. The way I've found it to work was to use "export using quicktime conversion".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]