FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio retime creates echo in FCPX but not in FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dixon
Audio retime creates echo in FCPX but not in FCP7?
on Sep 12, 2014 at 4:02:56 pm

When retiming an AIFF file by a very small percent (just a few frames over an hour) I find that Final Cut Pro X adds a slight but annoying echo to the audio that was originally clean and echo-free. I have retimed such audio many times in Final Cut Pro 7 and never encountered that kind of distortion. I was expecting it to work the same if not better in FCPX, but was disappointed when I couldn't figure out a quick way to fix the issue. Curious to know if anybody else has encountered this and if so, have you found a solution or workaround?

Details: the audio was originally recorded as a high bitrate MP3 on a Marantz Marantz PMD 670 at 48khz, then transcoded to an AIFF file at 48khz, then dropped into a FCPX (v10.1.3) multicam clip also set to 48khz. The audio sounds great as an AIFF, but is distinctly distorted after performing the retime in FCPX. As I noted above, I've done this conversion and retime dozens of times in FCP7 without any hint of distortion, but the first time I try in FCPX I hear a slight echo. I'm a relatively new user of FCPX, but have taken several training courses and feel reasonably comfortable with it now after using it to edit a handful of projects.

This is my first post after years of learning from this site. Much appreciation to all who participate regularly in the forums.

Independent Filmmaker
Canon C100, Panasonic GH3
FCPX, FCP7

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Audio retime creates echo in FCPX but not in FCP7?
on Sep 12, 2014 at 10:24:41 pm

Could this be a render issue? Maybe try trashing your renders. I've never seen (heard) this.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.3, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Mark Dixon
Re: Audio retime creates echo in FCPX but not in FCP7?
on Sep 13, 2014 at 1:58:22 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a shot (deleted the renders) and the slight echo effect remains. Strange. I'm still open to suggestions. Hopeful that others have encountered and conquered this issue.

Independent Filmmaker
Canon C100, Panasonic GH3
FCPX, FCP7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]