FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT - Going from 23.98 dvd rip (then edited) to 29.97 dvd deliverable?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
OT - Going from 23.98 dvd rip (then edited) to 29.97 dvd deliverable?
on Sep 9, 2014 at 10:35:15 pm

Doing a fast turnaround edit for a company I had to rip a dvd from the same company (no alternative under the circumstances) and use it extract clips to edit… and eventually deliver a dvd as the finished presentation product. Though I tested every step in the work flow, a pretty subtle motion artifact slipped by me (going from 23.98 to 29.97) for a less than great result. Here are the ingredients and I don't how to make it right, suggestions welcome.

The original dvd points to a shortcoming in my dvd knowledge… I assumed a US dvd release would be 29.97 it seems the dvd I used is 23.97*

Assuming that the dvd content is 23.98 and I'm pretty confident MPEG Streamclip extracted sections without changing the framerate and field dominance (none) (I went with the defaults**) what would be the best way to take an edited seq (that retained the settings of the original extracts) and use Apple Compressor 3.5 to create dvd-ready files? (I placed in Toast to make a ntsc dvd.) The last step in my work flow was to use the default Compressor dvd setting Framerate = Automatic (I modified the dvd default to insure the anamorphic video displays as widescreen).

I'm hoping that the edited seq is still valid and that I can make the dvd look right with the right compression setting. I could do loads of experiments but I'm a little unsure about all the steps in the process and wanted to vet them with my peers.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul

*Using MPEG Streamclip to extract clips from the TS folder (and not filling in a framerate, letting it default) it delivered 23.98 clips (I exported as Qt ProRes). Same result with default setting with Handbrake. Assuming the dvd content is 23.98 how would an older dvd player & TV output / display ntsc 29.97?

** Yet MPEG Streamclip (button) defaults to Upper Field saying only use Lower with DV codec

p.s. I don't think it's that relevant but I used FCP 7 to edit where in starting a new Seq I asked to match the original clip.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: OT - Going from 23.98 dvd rip (then edited) to 29.97 dvd deliverable?
on Sep 12, 2014 at 10:13:51 pm

I''m fairly certain that the DVD spec allows only 29.97. The video may have pulldown added as the original footage may have been 23.976. I never trust QT re file parameters. I use MediaInfo (available in the App Store) to determine file parameters. There are a couple MediaInfos. The one I use has a big ? in the center of its icon. Use it to look at your MPEGStreamclip exports. You'll have good info re frame rate and field order. What you are seeing sounds like interlace problems. It's been a long time since I've dealt with interlaced files. It was always a pain and I always did a short encode of a section where there was strong motion and burned it to the DVD as a test.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.3, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Sep 12, 2014 at 10:26:15 pm

Thanks John, esp about MediaInfo In another forum someone said "Keep everything 23.98. Your DVD player adds pulldown on playback."

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Sep 13, 2014 at 4:09:43 am

"Keep everything 23.98. Your DVD player adds pulldown on playback"

that is correct.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]