FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpeg2 convert to 16:9

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hope Holmesby
mpeg2 convert to 16:9
on Sep 6, 2014 at 2:38:52 am

Hi, thanks for reading....hope i am explaining this right:

The video department sent me an mpeg2 to edit.
I realize in fcp 7 one has to convert the mpeg2 into something else to use it in fcp

Problem:
1. the file appears when played w qt player to be a 16.9 video. looks fine.
however the actual size in the info of the video is 720x576, which is not widescreen.

when i try to convert it in Compressor 3 to a format that fcp will use, what compression codec should i use so that the final outcome will go into fcp, plus it will be the right proportion 16:9, plus it will still be clear in fcp (so far, it is either squished or fuzzy)....which so far i have not managed to do

2. Why would a file that is sd dimensions look ws in qtx (shows as 1024 x 576) and 7(shows as 720x404)?

3. Normally we work w photosjpegs (exported from AE), then we bring it inot fcp to adjust, add sound etc. I tried to use the photojpeg codec in Compressor but got very distorted output.

What do you all think?

Thanks so much,
Warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB; Mac OS 10.9, 16 GB RAM; 2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each; After Effects CS5.5; Sound Track Pro 3.0.1; Final Cut Pro 7.0.3; Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: mpeg2 convert to 16:9
on Sep 6, 2014 at 3:21:10 am

use MPeg Streamclip to transcode the file to a ProRes format,
Prores422, say,
keep the frame size the same, or un-scaled.

in FCP, open the clip's item properties, and tick theAnamorphic box.

"Why would a file that is sd dimensions look ws in qtx (shows as 1024 x 576) and 7(shows as 720x404)?"

this is the nature of the anamorphic process
all SD video is actually 4/3.
16/9 images are squeezed when recorded as SD, and unsqueezed when played back.

nick

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
Re: mpeg2 convert to 16:9
on Sep 6, 2014 at 4:08:46 am

Hi Nick...thanks so much for answering...

very kind for replying...

I have Compressor, so used the QT Apple Pro Res (Proxy) as it was going to make the smaller file (still made the file 2.5 x larger than the orig mpeg2.)

When dragging that pro res file into fcp7 was asked to change the sequence settings, so did.

Did come out quite nicely...thank you so, so much.

Thanks for the sd vs ws explanation too...

The only mystery to me now, is what codec should i use to compress it for the web, once I have output it from fcp using 'current settings' (QT, not QT conversion).

Also, the resulting video from fcp even tho pro res 422 is showing as qt icon in Mavericks, not the actual video icon.
which only opens in qt7, not qtx
........Mavericks has made things a mystery

not sure why that was happening either.
thank you again for your great insight and prompt help. greatly appreciate Nick

warmly,
Hope

Life is here to enjoy.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 2TB; Mac OS 10.9, 16 GB RAM; 2 La Cie external HDs 1 TB each; After Effects CS5.5; Sound Track Pro 3.0.1; Final Cut Pro 7.0.3; Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]