FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I have to buy whole FCS 3 for £600 if upgrading fcp 6.0.6 to 7.0.3?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Franks
Do I have to buy whole FCS 3 for £600 if upgrading fcp 6.0.6 to 7.0.3?
on Aug 28, 2014 at 11:00:47 am

I recently bought Adobe CS Suite 6 production premium which I want to run alongside my FC studio (particularly my FCP). I have realised that the CS6 won't run on my MAC OS 10.5.8 so have bought Snow Leopard. But I understand I now therefore need to upgrade my FCP 6.0.6 to 7.0.3 as 6.0.6 won't run on Snow Leopard. I thought I had the download solution with this Apple 'Pro Applications Update 2010-02' http://support.apple.com/kb/DL949 but when I try update, I'm told 'my computer does not need this update'. Do I need to buy a whole new FCS 3 on ebay for a vast amount - or should I now upgrade to the latest version of FCP X 10.0.3 for £200? Will I be able to ingest all previous fcp files and media? Will it link to the FCS2 versions of Compressor, Motion, Color, Soundtrack etc. Will it work on Snow Leopard!?!?!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Do I have to buy whole FCS 3 for £600 if upgrading fcp 6.0.6 to 7.0.3?
on Aug 28, 2014 at 3:44:40 pm

[Martin Franks] "I now therefore need to upgrade my FCP 6.0.6 to 7.0.3 as 6.0.6 won't run on Snow Leopard."

FCP 6 will run on Snow Leopard just fine.

[Martin Franks] "Do I need to buy a whole new FCS 3 on ebay for a vast amount"

If you want to go from FCP 6 to FCP 7....yes. But as I said, you don't need to...FCP 6 works on that OS fine.

[Martin Franks] "or should I now upgrade to the latest version of FCP X 10.0.3 for £200? "

The latest version is 10.1...and it will ONLY run on the latest OS, which is Mavericks. FCP 6 will have issues on that OS for sure. But CS6 will work fine. Know that FCX is VERY different from FCP 6. You'll be learning a new NLE from scratch.

[Martin Franks] "Will I be able to ingest all previous fcp files and media?"

No. If you have projects on FCP 6, you cannot open them in FCX. You cannot even CONVERT them to FCX because the only converter (that you have to pay for) for this converts FCP 7 projects to FCX. WOn't work with FCP 6

[Martin Franks] "Will it link to the FCS2 versions of Compressor, Motion, Color, Soundtrack etc. "

FCX? No. COlor and Soundtrack Pro and DVD Studio pro are discontinued. And you'l have to get the new versions of Motion and Compressor...maybe. FCX doesn't dynamically link with other software, AFAIK.FC

[Martin Franks] "ill it work on Snow Leopard!?!?!"

FCX? No. Mavericks only.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Martin Franks
on Aug 28, 2014 at 4:20:44 pm

Thanks Shane I really appreciate that. So it looks like I can upgrade my OS to Snow Leopard and play FCP 6.0.6 and Adobe Creative Suite 6 on this system with the new (for me) OS which is fantastic. I think it makes sense for me rather than paying for FCS3 in order to upgrade to FCP 7 and then convert from FCP X 10.1 (thanks for the heads up on the latest version of that too and the compatibility of other FCS programs too).

I also was told that I should back up my system using Time Machine before I upgraded anything. So I did this but I'm continually getting an error message - 'unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume'. However when I check the data amounts and file trees I seem to have all the data backed up. Is this a common bug? don't want to go ahead if it indicates something more problematic.

He of a nervous disposition......

Martin
Cambridge UK

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 28, 2014 at 5:57:25 pm

I use Time Machine for daily backup. But before upgrading, I CLONE my working system drive. I use Carbon Copy Cloner for this. CLone, then update. If things don't work, I can clone the old system back. Time Machine doesn't allow you to go back to an earlier OS. Only recover files.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Martin Franks
on Sep 1, 2014 at 9:33:00 am

Thanks again Shane. I'll explore Carbon Copy Cloner instead - glad I asked. It was Apple Technical Support who recommended using Time Machine before I upgraded in case I had trouble....

Cheers

Martin Franks
Cambridge UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]