FORUMS: list search recent posts

max needed RAM for 2009 Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
max needed RAM for 2009 Mac Pro?
on Aug 25, 2014 at 8:09:27 pm

I have an 2009 MAc Pro 2.26GHz with 6GB of RAM. I have FCP studio and all the adobe CS6 apps. I am thinking of increasing my RAM. I can go up to 32GB for about 300 bucks. Does anyone know the top end before you max out your RAM processing?

I am running Mavericks, so I can expand to 32GB RAM.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
Re: max needed RAM for 2009 Mac Pro?
on Aug 25, 2014 at 11:45:54 pm

As far as FCP7 is concerned, it's a 32 bit application so can only address 4 gig of ram, upping your ram is a waste of money as far as FCS is concerned as you already have 2 gig spare. Some of the Adobe apps are 32 or 64 bit so if you have Premier Pro for instance that would benefit from the extra ram but having said that, Premier Pro relies more on GPU ram if you want to get the most out of it, but be prepared to spend a lot more on a beefy Nvidia Quadro graphics card.

FCP7 is most reliable running under Snow leopard 10.6.8 and is not supported under Mavericks.

The amount of ram which can be addressed is determined by the computer. If it's 32 bit computer it can only utilize 4 gigs. A 64 bit one can utilize huge amounts of storage and ram, only limited by the size of ram modules and slots available for any particular computer. 32bit apps on a 64bit computer can address only 4 gig regardless. This is why we all wanted FCP8, a 64 bit version of the app we already had.

If it were me I would buy another disk to run FCP on under Snow Leopard, it will be very happy.
Run later apps on a separate disk under Mavericks (if you must), and just choose which disk you want to boot from according to your requirements.

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Aug 26, 2014 at 3:56:41 pm
Last Edited By Nelson May on Aug 26, 2014 at 3:58:01 pm

Thanks, that helps. Here is what got me into the situation. I haven't edited video for a few years and was slowly getting back into it. I went to the Apple store and was going to buy a new iMac as my upgrade (I am holding back on the Mac Pro Cylinder). They told me my 8 core would still have more power. Since things were running slow on Mavericks, I took it in to have it looked at. They said I needed more memory. Just mail and Firefox will use up 4-5 GB when open.

Anyway, I may upgrade to FCPX. Since that is 64 bit, will more memory help me?

BTW, it is hard to edit 720 without my machine gumming up and dropping frames on the lowest RT setting. It is even harder when I have graphics that are even rendered. Do you have any tricks that could help me get FCP3 (FCP studio 7) running a little smoother since I don't need more memory? I can't afford a raid array or a solid state drive right now.

Thanks for all your help!

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:35:50 pm

You shouldn't be having problems with 720p on that machine, I know because I use the same one and have no issues. Mavericks is the cause of many problems with older software, even new stuff. Like I said before, I suggest you run FCP7 under 10.6.8 and things will be a lot better. You say that you don't have a Raid. I hope you are not using your startup disk as your primary scratch disk, you must have your media on a separate disk or you will experience the kind of problems that you describe.

FCPX will love as much RAM as you can afford but the version available now is Mavericks only, you may gather I'm not a fan. You will need a decent graphics card or FCPX will refuse to run, check system requirements for FCPX to see if your present card is listed, if not you'll need a card which is qualified for FCPX

Return to posts index

Nelson May
on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:52:05 pm

Thanks again. I am completely with you. I hate Mavericks and wish I never upgraded. I am storing all my media on internal SATA discs at 7200rpm 16-31MB buffer, so I am not using the OS drive.

I think I am going to partition one of my drives and go back to SN and run FCP and some Adobe CS4 Apps.

I have 2: 1TB Drives and 1: 2TB Drive in my bays. Would 500GB be safe to load FCP and a few apps or can I go a bit lower. I also have an older version I Zaxwerks Proanimator, that I have old media plugged into.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Roger Poole
on Aug 27, 2014 at 11:01:51 pm

Yes it will be fine but you will be hard pressed to find a smaller disk these days. I have a preference for WD Black series drives but Hitachi are damned good too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]