FORUMS: list search recent posts

Opening old FCP 5 files in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Marlowe
Opening old FCP 5 files in FCP 7
on Aug 19, 2014 at 9:45:56 am

Hi,

I have a question that was probably relevant to everyone else several years ago, but now probably only to me.

I've got a handful of old FCP 5 projects I would like to open and work on, but my old G4 PPC Mac which I used to use for that is finally kaput. So what I would like to do is get a used Macbook with FCP 7.

My questions are:

Will FCP 5 project files open in FCP 7 without any problems? I remeber there was quite a discussion about this years ago, but I can't find the relevant posts.

My eventual goal, if that works, is to have the option to work on these old FCP 5 projects in FCP 7, then save them in FCP 7 and then eventually export them to Adobe Premiere (or even FCPX, now that it's possible).
I just like to always have to option to go back and work on old stuff, so this seems like the best solution.

Any info (or links to old posts) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Opening old FCP 5 files in FCP 7
on Aug 19, 2014 at 3:09:45 pm

Careful, there might be an explosion and a huge mushroom cloud if you try to open an FCP5 with FCP7.

NOT!!!

As the folks at Nike say, "Just do it." The worst that will happen is a few clips might not show up or relink as expected.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Aug 20, 2014 at 2:52:57 pm

I made the transition from FCP 5 projects to FCP 7. FCP 7 opened the files with no problem. Later I exported some of these projects as XMLs (with a couple of hitches) and am editing the same projects in Premiere Pro CC, which points at the same original media files as did FCP 5.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 20, 2014 at 2:58:14 pm

What? No mushroom cloud?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Chris Marlowe
on Aug 25, 2014 at 6:09:25 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Out of curiosity, what were the hitches with exporting the projects as XMLs?

Thanks.
Christopher

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Aug 25, 2014 at 9:26:50 pm

I followed all the instructions on how to export an XML timeline in FCP 5 or 7 and import an XML file in Premiere Pro CC. It imported a 30 minute timeline but the second half of it was greyed out, inaccessible in Pr. Some clips were inserted twice or in the wrong place. Some weeks went by and I realized, duh, put the second half in a new FCP timeline and export that section as a separate XML. That worked correctly, I pasted the two sections together in Pr and voila.

But no problems at all just opening the FCP5 project in FCP 7.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:19:55 pm

Actually, this was part of my motivation to upgrade to FCP7, to get the more advanced XML export function. Along with other more advanced and current options. But even FCP7 is fading into the sunset. I can still make a splice on 16mm :-)

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]