FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blurring out names/logos in SD project - what tool to use?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
Blurring out names/logos in SD project - what tool to use?
on Aug 18, 2014 at 1:46:17 pm

Hi, guys!

So, when nearly finishing updating an old SD project, the client throws in that they wish to blur out company names/logos and name bagdes on people wearing suits in the film.

I have never done this before, just blurring out objects when the camera is still.

If anyone has suggestions for tools solving this, I'd be very glad! The logos might appear on several places in the sequences (for example two persons wearing a suit where either/or both name badge and company logo is visible).

I guess the easiest (but most time-consuming) way is to duplicate the clip, place it on top of the original one and then somehow add a mask with blur. Then keyframe movement of the mask? Not sure how that's done, though...

I do have Motion, but after some reading I figure it might take longer to understand how to work with Motion? Or perhaps I can make the blurring much quicker and better in Motion, once I get the hang of it?

So, I'd be very happy for inputs on this one!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Blurring out names/logos in SD project - what tool to use?
on Aug 18, 2014 at 4:05:39 pm

I think using Motion is the way to go.

Although you don't say so, I'll bet those people aren't sitting there like statues, so those logos are moving. Motion will let you track the movement and get more tightly-confined blur.

Sure, the first few will tough, but after that it ought to get a lot easier. And be glad you'd be using Motion -- learning its basics is a lot easier chore than learning the basics of, say, After Effects.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 18, 2014 at 4:31:00 pm

I'm with Dave on this: Use the motion tracker in Apple Motion, then parent it to the blurs you set up.

A more tedious way to go would be to rotoscope the tags, by exporting a frame movie or sequential stills, into photoshop, then fixing them there, using healing and cloning brushes on each individual frame. While you can reduce the time spent on that by quite a bit if you know how to apply batch actions, it still will be a very tedious job. But I think it tends to look better than just adding a blur. Blurs tend to attract the eye and brain in an attempt to decode what the blur is hiding and so, blurs call attention to just the very thing your client didn't want people to look at.

you can grab a very adjacent area of the shirt or jacket and move it over the tag with feathered edges; it may work better than just a blur alone.

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Aug 19, 2014 at 8:05:58 am

I just take a look into Motion, then. I have never used the software, but I guess I will have to work with (final) ref movies (they are four in total) and then apply the motion blur with tracking on the actual parts?

To make things a bit more complicated, there's both movement of camera and actors, as well as multiple logos that needs to be blurred.

I have watched a few tutorials on Motion and blur/tracking, and I think I will get the blur part just fine. But how's the tracking done? In one of the turorials, it looked like you were working with keyframes after all...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 20, 2014 at 2:58:08 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Aug 20, 2014 at 3:01:22 pm

There will almost certainly be keyframing involved. These shots may be patch jobs, but they're also effects shots. Furthermore, they're effects shots for which you don't have the benefit of pre-planning... the worst kind. There won't be any automatic, click a button and you're done deals. For example:
Someone on camera with a shirt logo turns, and the logo disappears... how do you handle the blur?
Do you blur a name tag, or try to cover it with fabric from elsewhere in the shot?
How many portions of a given shot need repair? Each portion will involve its own track, and you may have to use different repair solutions for each one.
Finally, how good does this repair job have to look -- as if the offending items were never there, or can they simply be unrecognizable?

It may sound like a pretty easy chore to a client, but it may occupy hours or days of your time, depending on the agreed-upon delivery standards. We haven't seen any of the shots, so you might as well be prepared for the worst.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]