FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Reconnect Media question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Alex
FCP 7 Reconnect Media question
on Aug 17, 2014 at 3:35:57 pm

Hi all,

My first post here, though Ive been referring to the site for years, always a great resource! Hopefully someone can answer a question...

Background: I am editing a music video. I converted the Hi Res HDV source media (one file) to low res H264 for editing. Now I want to reconnect back to the Hi Res HDV media for output. No problem with my source footage (one file). This single file contained 3 camera angles sequentially which I then made subclips of to use in my sequence.

The question is: Will the sub clips that I have made also reconnect to the high res footage? Or will I have to reconnect each sub clip?

Thanks
Steve

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 Reconnect Media question
on Aug 17, 2014 at 6:55:10 pm

[Steve Alex] "I converted the Hi Res HDV source media (one file) to low res H264 for editing."

That was the wrong thing to do. FCP can edit HDV just fine...it's actually a very low data rate format. And H.264 is a codec that FCP doesn't work with...not without issues. Depending on how you converted them, they might not contain vital information needed to reconnnect properly...namely timecode, or reel number

Normally subclips will reconnect when you connect the master clip. Try that and see what happens.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Alex
on Aug 17, 2014 at 7:05:39 pm
Last Edited By Steve Alex on Aug 17, 2014 at 7:34:00 pm

Shane,

Thanks for replying. Actually the original source video is H264. I had to convert it to Apple 422 for editing. Sorry for the confusion. But you are saying that all subclips should reconnect. It doesn't seem that they are doing so. If I click Reconnect media for any given subclip, they still show connected to the 422 for editing. Not the original file.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 17, 2014 at 8:40:40 pm

It should remain connected to the ProRes 422...there is no reason to ever go back to H.264. ProRes 422 is a mastering codec, H.264 is not. You'll have issues if you try to export or grade with H.264. Stick with ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Alex
on Aug 23, 2014 at 4:34:37 pm

thanks, Shane! I thought I would get a better output using the source video. But I'll stick to the Pro 422 as you recommend.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]