FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black Magic + Sony PMW500 + FCP7 = potential pitfalls?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Keeling
Black Magic + Sony PMW500 + FCP7 = potential pitfalls?
on Aug 15, 2014 at 9:40:36 am

Hi all,

First time posting here, but I've found the other threads really helpful.

I'm in prep for a music video at the moment that I'm directing and editing. I've a DoP on board who's planning on using a Sony PMW 500 and a Black Magic camera for the shoot, and I'm just wondering what the potential pitfalls are and how I can avoid/minimise them?

I'll be editing on FCP7 on a Macbook Pro, so it's not hugely powerful. I usually just shoot on DSLR and edit my own stuff, so this is new territory for me. There's a quick turnaround needed for the edit, and I don't want to have to spend ages importing/converting footage.

Should we shoot in 1080 ProRes on the Black Magic instead of 2.5K DNG? I realise that 2.5K is better resolution and dynamic range, but is it going to cause more headaches than it's worth? Is combining footage from the Sony with the Black Magic going to be a nightmare?

Any advice on this would be helpful. I'd hate to realise in post-production that everything needs to be converted and that there was something simple we could have done in shooting to avoid it.

Cheers,

Dave

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Black Magic + Sony PMW500 + FCP7 = potential pitfalls?
on Aug 15, 2014 at 3:28:44 pm

Record as ProRes on both cameras if you want/need fast turnaround. Cinema DNG doesn't make a single file...it is a BUNCH of individual frames....and FCP doesn't import that. Because the camera was introduced after FCP was discontinued. Keep things simple...have both record to ProRes.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Keeling
Re: Black Magic + Sony PMW500 + FCP7 = potential pitfalls?
on Aug 22, 2014 at 11:12:32 am

Thanks, Shane!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]