FORUMS: list search recent posts

lost channels in wav to aiff

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Cannon
lost channels in wav to aiff
on Aug 10, 2014 at 5:43:49 pm

Posting this in the FCP forum since my workflow may have something to do with it.

I'm working with Pro Res 422 footage (1920x1080) which has been synced up with wav files in FCP 7. While I understand some people say just to stick with wav, I would like to have some help understanding why converting to aiff changes my 4-chan wav files to 2-chan aiff files.

This is probably irrelevant, but sequence settings are 1920x1080 HDTVi, square aspect ratio, 23.98, ProRes 422, audio set to 48kHz 24-bit. (In the process, perhaps someone knows why the default "Would you like to match sequence settings with clip settings?" is HDTV 1080i?)

More immediately, here is my audio workflow:

Using Compressor 3.5.3, I converted .wav files (48 kHz 24-bit 4 channels) to the aiff preset (AIFF 48:24 stereo. I figured "stereo" was giving my problems, but I need help with which channel setting to use. When I pull the native wav files into FCP, there are 4 separate tracks. I tried converting to AIFF mono in hopes that I would get 4 separate mono tracks, but no. I have done both: dragging folder from Finder with the audio tracks inside, and dragging individual audio file from the Finder window. I have done those things both in my main timeline (whole film), as well as in a new project and sequence (same settings), having first closed and restarted FCP.

Perhaps the answer is to stick with wav. I edited this whole thing (feature film) with wav for all the audio recorded during principal photography. All subsequent audio and music are in aiff, as that was the recommendation I have gotten from these forums as well as my sound mixer - although he did not explicitly say not to use wav. I'm prepping for sound mix in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can get this out sooner rather than later. As is the case with everyone. :)

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

Return to posts index

Jim Powell
Re: lost channels in wav to aiff
on Aug 15, 2014 at 12:44:28 am

Lisa,

If you would like an AIFF File, you can export from FCP.
Drop your 4 chans. of .wav audio onto an FCP sequence.
Go to Sequence settings, right hand tab is Audio settings.
Select 4 channels and then click to make them dual mono.
close sequence settings.
On you sequence, control click the on/off button on audio track 1, select Audio Outputs 1. Control click the on/off button on audio track 2, select Audio Outputs 2. and so on for 3 and 4.
Now that the outputs are properly assigned you can Export and choose "Export to AIFFs" This should give you 4 tracks of AIFF audio.

Jim P.
Pillar To Post
http://www.pillartopostvideo.com

Return to posts index

Lisa Cannon
Re: lost channels in wav to aiff
on Aug 15, 2014 at 2:00:50 am

Ah! Thank you. :) Man, the workarounds... grumblegrumble...

You just made my day!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]