FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proress 422 and 422 HQ for TV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Naor Elimelech
Proress 422 and 422 HQ for TV
on Aug 8, 2014 at 8:37:15 pm

Hi there,

I am finalising the filming of a documentary series which is aimed at being sold to TV. Myself and my colleague are having problems to decide which compressor should we opt for capturing.

We have been using the C100 and FS700 at times so we're talking AVCHD.

Now, in my understanding, there is no justification in capturing 422 HQ as there is not enough "information" on our files anyway, so it's like storing small amount of eggs in a case too large which ends up taking too much space. My colleague believes that 422 HQ is essentially better.

Am I wrong? I thought that being only 8bits, these cameras will not "yield" more information because the codec type is bigger.

Many thanks,
Naor.

Naor Elimelech
Mac Pro/Sony HVR-Z5/Lumix GH1/FCP studio 2

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Proress 422 and 422 HQ for TV
on Aug 8, 2014 at 8:46:40 pm

I agree HQ is overkill. I think ProRes422 or even ProResLT would work fine. But, select a challenging scene and encode it with each flavor of ProRes and choose what looks best.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Proress 422 and 422 HQ for TV
on Aug 8, 2014 at 9:12:10 pm

I concur with John. ProRes 422 is what you should use. LT might be off-putting to producers or the network, simply by the name alone, which is why many people opt to use HQ or even ProRes 4444. It sounds better, and is a higher quality setting, so it will make the footage higher quality, right? Big misconception.

I'd use LT for web, but not TV. ProRes 422 for TV

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]