FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film Festival requesting a file of the film in DCP format prior to screening at end of the month

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Davis
Film Festival requesting a file of the film in DCP format prior to screening at end of the month
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:56:54 pm

I'm a newbie and was lucky enough to get my doc into a film festival.
A post house will create a DCP for screening at the film festival, but I'm confused by the festival's request to forward them:

"a file of your film in DCP format"

prior to the screening.

If anyone can call out the tech specs of this type of file it would be great.

I can check directly with the festival, but they seem pretty swamped right now and I was hoping to get a quicker response here. (They want the file no later than next week even though the screening is at the end of the month).

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Film Festival requesting a file of the film in DCP format prior to screening at end of the month
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:38:16 pm

They want your film in DCP format...that's a digital format, so you'll have a digital file. They are requesting that digital file...the post house is making that digital file. So you send them the digital file the post house makes.

As for the specs for that DCP...that you need to check with the festival. I think there really is only one spec...Like asking for a ProRes file. It's ProRes. But dimensions and Frame rate would be good to know. That is all you really need..."We'd like a DCP that's (frame size) and (frame rate)."

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Film Festival requesting a file of the film in DCP format prior to screening at end of the month
on Aug 8, 2014 at 7:01:28 am

DCP uses jpeg2000 codec wrapped in an mxf wrapper and xyz colour space, not Rec708 or sRGB.Frame sizes are 2k or 4k variations.

Open DCP is open source software that will encode and create a DCP. Youtube clips showing its use also explain the format as well so if you want to burrow into it then thats a great starting point.

Return to posts index

Dick Fokker
on Aug 8, 2014 at 7:45:32 am

This might be of any help to you.

http://dcimovies.com/specification/DCI_DCSS_v12_with_errata_2012-1010.pdf

Return to posts index

Eric Sauer
on Jul 29, 2016 at 2:36:57 pm

A great way to make a DCP out of your project is to simply use http://www.AutoDCP.com. this is a cloud based DCP encoder that allows you to make a DCP from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]